Clownfish are similar size, can they breed?

mirarose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I bought a pair of "adult" maroon clownfish a few days ago from LFS who said they were adults. Unfortunately I didn't notice until I got home that they are almost the same size, about 3 inches. The slightly bigger (female) attacked the male for the first couple days but they seem to be fine now. The male would the shaking thing a lot. They have both been in the corner the past day and the female is kicking up a ton of sand, it's kinda funny to watch.

Anyway, sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm wondering if they can actually breed without a super noticable size difference? The fighting did stop, will the female end up growing bigger maybe? Also LFS didn't know how old they are, just that they are "adults" so I'm not sure if they are even old enough

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes clownfish can and will breed constantly if fed correctly. You can't stop them from spawning. :)

Upvote 0

Muddaubere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I bought a pair of "adult" maroon clownfish a few days ago from LFS who said they were adults. Unfortunately I didn't notice until I got home that they are almost the same size, about 3 inches. The slightly bigger (female) attacked the male for the first couple days but they seem to be fine now. The male would the shaking thing a lot. They have both been in the corner the past day and the female is kicking up a ton of sand, it's kinda funny to watch.

Anyway, sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm wondering if they can actually breed without a super noticable size difference? The fighting did stop, will the female end up growing bigger maybe? Also LFS didn't know how old they are, just that they are "adults" so I'm not sure if they are even old enough
Being the same size probably means they have not been a couple for very long. The fighting is normal. The spending time away from each other (being at separate parts of the tank) is also normal for new couples. I would expect whichever one becomes the female will get bigger at some point. The one doing the shaking thing is probably going to be the male hence that is the submission dance. I don't know how to tell their age, but give them time.

I lost two males before my female found her mate, don't be discouraged. I'm just happy human women don't kill off males they don't like. :)

Upvote 0

Bph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It sounds to me you got two clowns figuring out which one will become the female she will always show the male who is boss the male will dance in a submissive way all this is normal behavior , when they are mature enough they will start picking a place of rock clean for her to lay her eggs on he will then fertilize them and within 8-12 days they will hatch out. Good luck.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back