Clownfish assistance

wallyman424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I've got a clownfish that isnt acting quite right. I've had this pair, bought from WWC over a year ago as a bonded pair. They started off more or less the same size, and one has gotten a whole lot bigger now (probably 2x the size of the small one). The big momma has always been dominant, chasing the smaller one away from food, but the small one was always able to get enough floating around the tank. I'd say two weeks or so ago I noticed that the small guy was swimming mostly near the tank return nozzle and over the last week his swimming has become really strange. He swims in circles at the top by the return nozzle at a 45 degree angle. Sometimes he swims backwards. I haven't been able to get him to eat for the past week, this is what concerns me the most. I've tried my standard flake food, a different flake food and tried frozen and tried to directly feed him with tweezers (which he used to love). No dice.

Tank parameters are perfect.
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10-20
Phos .02-.03

The other clown is completely normal. I have looked over the small guy as best as I can, and I see no spots, no film, no red streaks, no bulging eyes, no white stringy poop, his breathing is maybe a little bit heavy, but not that bad. (I have previously had clowns with brook, so that is my comparison with heavy breathing). The only thing I notice physically wrong with him is that his fins are more tattered than I remember them being in the past.

What I've done:
5 minute FW dip, didn't see any flukes
Tonight I set up a small QT and put him in it.

My theories:
1. Stress of being picked on lead to a bacterial infection causing minor fin rot and air bladder dysfunction
2. Nothing physically wrong with him, just emotionally distressed from being picked on
3. Something really bad

Pictures and video attached below. Whats the consensus on how to proceed. I'm thinking about treating with melafix.

MVIMG_20200112_224249.jpg
MVIMG_20200112_224305.jpg

OP
OP
W

wallyman424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go to med is Seachem Paraguard. I agree with QTing him. Honestly he looks fine other then his fins.

Thanks for that assurance. I've ordered meds and they'll be here tomorrow. I think I'll go with the paraguard as suggested.

So the little guy looks better in the QT, hes not stuck in the corner. He swims around a bit, all different levels of the tank. The problem is that he just won't eat. He sort of swims around in this little circle, sort of acts like he can't even tell theres some freshly thawed frozen food right infront of his face.

Also looking at him, theres a mark on his head that wasnt there before. Any ideas what that could be?

Heres an old picture:
MVIMG_20190525_222130.jpg

New picture

IMG_20200113_185343.jpg
MVIMG_20200113_185334.jpg

Video of his swimming

OP
OP
W

wallyman424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice here please. Fishy is in the hospital tank, the paraguard came today so I did the first dose, but I still can't get the guy to eat.

I swear this fish has no idea im waving food in front of his face. I'll thaw out some frozen food, grab a piece with tweezers and put it in the tank. I've even literally been able to touch the fishes mouth with the food and he doesn't care. He has made no attempt to eat and the worst part is he isn't even skittish of being right up next to some huge stainless steel tongs.

Is it possible he's blind and is having issues with his lateral line? Does anyone have any advice about how to get him to eat something? I tried putting some garlic flakes in the tank and it didn't change anything.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any liquid garlic? I use 2 drops per cube when feeding frozen food. I have clownfish that go through periods of not wanting to eat as well. Usually I can treat with Paraguard for a day, and they perk up within the next couple of days. Of course every situation is different.

OP
OP
W

wallyman424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any liquid garlic? I use 2 drops per cube when feeding frozen food. I have clownfish that go through periods of not wanting to eat as well. Usually I can treat with Paraguard for a day, and they perk up within the next couple of days. Of course every situation is different.

Thanks, I've just ordered some. Hopefully he perks up in the next couple days. He really doesn't look that bad, just sort of behaving strangely.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I've just ordered some. Hopefully he perks up in the next couple days. He really doesn't look that bad, just sort of behaving strangely.
Clownfish will do that do you. I can't tell you how many times I thought one was dead, and it was just sleeping.

OP
OP
W

wallyman424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 of paraguard, hes about the same, swimming a bit better but still looking dazed and confused. He won't pay an ounce of attention to food. I tried food mixed with garlic drops, flakes, NLS pellets... Nothing. I don't know how much longer this dude can go without food, its probably been 2 weeks now.

OP
OP
W

wallyman424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I think I've figured something out here. I was just watching the little guy and i caught a glimpse of a very faint stringy poop trailing out of him about an inch long. I think thats my culprit and it explains why the paraguard isnt doing much of anything.

Tomorrow morning im going to run to the local pet store and grab some api general cure and dose the tank. He's not eating so I cant put it in his food yet. Hopefully this helps him turn around.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming into flow is a classic symptom of velvet. Have you added any livestock to the tank recently?

OP
OP
W

wallyman424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming into flow is a classic symptom of velvet. Have you added any livestock to the tank recently?

No, these guys have been in the tank for over a year, no new additions.

Also he doesn't swim into flow in the qt. I'm pretty convinced I've got a case of white stringy poop now that I actually witnessed it

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly flukes, possibly bacterial. Possible internal parasites.

If its not too weak I would FWD to confirm flukes before using general cure. If no flukes try an antibiotic first.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back