Clownfish Behavior is this normal

TaraT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my clownfish about a week. They have started swimming vertically in the corners or on the side of the tank I thought maybe the flow was too high, so I turned off the power heads for a bit, but they kept doing it. They were together at first but are on separate ends now. I know clownfish can be odd, so I just wanted to see if this was normal behavior. I had a new coral beauty die yesterday so I am extra watchful today. I just retested the water and it still looks good. I also had it checked by my local store yesterday. Thank you in advance! Hopefully I’m just paranoid.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5 ppm
Ph 8.3
Temp 77
Salinity 1.025

Attachments

• IMG_4599.MOV
    48.7 MB

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot see video, but it is normal for them to swim in corners, near overflows, on bottom, and swim vertically. They are weird fish.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure someone more experienced than I will chime in, however I believe this is a normal part of clownfish behavior.

That being said, do you have a verified cause of death on the coral beauty? I think there's some diseases/parasites that cause a fish to do the same thing.

OP
OP
TaraT

TaraT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot see video, but it is normal for them to swim in corners, near overflows, on bottom, and swim vertically. They are weird fish.
Ok great! That’s what I thought from reading through the forums but after losing the other fish I’m paranoid.

OP
OP
TaraT

TaraT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure someone more experienced than I will chime in, however I believe this is a normal part of clownfish behavior.

That being said, do you have a verified cause of death on the coral beauty? I think there's some diseases/parasites that cause a fish to do the same thing.
No we were not sure but it seemed like it was from stress. I’ll look into parasites.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem out of the ordinary. MY clowns usually hang out in one corner and swim "vertically" up and down. They venture out into the DT as well but not as much as staying in the corner. I have 2 clowns in another tank and they exhibit the same behavior.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont see anything out of ordinary my clownfish used to host the overflow box and ever really left from it when i first got them

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My darwin clownfish relax/sleep vertically in the corner

OP
OP
TaraT

TaraT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My darwin clownfish relax/sleep vertically in the corner
I’ve been wondering if one was sleeping there. It’s just a little disconcerting when they slowly sink down some. Thanks!

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it seem like there swimming into the flow or Powerheads?

taylorpitcher11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns who do this same thing, especially at night or when the lights are off, so most likely just sleeping. They are very weird fish and are definitely called clowns for a reason :)

OP
OP
TaraT

TaraT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns who do this same thing, especially at night or when the lights are off, so most likely just sleeping. They are very weird fish and are definitely called clowns for a reason :)
Haha! I just told my husband this morning that now I know why they are called clowns.

OP
OP
TaraT

TaraT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone was right, they were just being clownfish and maybe sleeping part of the time. Today they have moved over to the power head on the other side of the tank. I think they are just trying g out new homes. Thanks everyone!

Back