Clownfish biting and now I want to bite back! What have you done?

Have you ever had a clown fish stop biting after it started?

• YES (do tell in the thread)

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 74 83.1%

• Total voters

Haberdasher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go on the offensive and chase it around the tank until it loses its desire to chase me. Usually only takes a few seconds of chasing it around.
This ^

If they persist I'll net them in a big net and place them off to the side in the tank until I've finished what I'm doing and then let them out. After doing these things a few times they no longer bite me.

FartyParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an adult ocelleris that used to bite me repeatedly during 12 gallon aio cleaning. i upgraded him to a 50 gallon cube and havent been biten since, as now he swims to the opposite side of the tank during maintenance.

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank boss
20180418_195651.jpg
20180418_195559.jpg

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a pair of midnight ocelaris, my female started to do that, and eveytime she went at my hand, i 'tried' to catch her with my hands to scare her. over time agression stopped. she sometimes try to go at my hand but as soon as i move toward her... she falls back.

Seahorse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached in my tank to flick a chunk of detritus off of a rock, and my nippy female clown went for my hand, and I flicked her before she could do it. I felt really bad at first because I feared I had hurt her, but she hasn't bit me since, so I guess she learned her lesson. ;Blackeye

Goby-won

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sad my pair of clowns Hershey (black and white clown) and yes Nemo, perished last year due to velvet. Hershey (female as mean as a snake and used to bite me every chance she got). I started putting my hand in the tank and getting “aggressive” with her and she left me alone. She had drawn blood on numerous occasions before this. Like a shark - she got more aggressive with my blood in the water.

Karie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a gold stripe maroon now that is the sweetest clown I have ever had. She eats out of my hand and never bites me, even accidentally. I made her mad once and she head butted me but that was all. God Bless her. (I hope I haven't jinxed myself)

Mirya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just have a single clown will it not turn mean? Or does that just mean its guaranteed to turn female as it grows and will get mean? I love the black storm ocellaris, but have been hesitant to get one because of potentially meanness as it ages.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female maroon like to play boss. She startled me the first few times she came after my hand. We have an understanding, she dose not want me in her area and I stay out unless I have to go in her area.:)

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Percula bites me every water change and it always does it in between my fingers in the soft spots. It knows and isn't scared of me at all! It's just protecting it's anemone and territory.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackson and Jillibean are my snowflake clowns. They are over 7 now. Jillibean has never hit me. Jackson used to. I used an old toothbrush to clean rocks. He turned evil. Took me a year to realize I was killing his children with that brush. I do not clean his rocks when he is caring for eggs and he leaves me a!one. But man does he hate that brush! ;Spiderman

Karie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just have a single clown will it not turn mean? Or does that just mean its guaranteed to turn female as it grows and will get mean? I love the black storm ocellaris, but have been hesitant to get one because of potentially meanness as it ages.

I have only had one mean clown. She was a black and white ocellaris that was captive bred. I bought her and another (orange and white) when they were young thinking that captive bred fish would get along with others. It worked. Both of them soon mated up and hosted a trachyphyllia in my tank. But as soon as she mated and hosted she became a B-Witch. I hated her. (She was the one I posted earlier in this thread that I gave her to a friend). Now I have two tanks with one clown each. One tank has that original orange and white male and he is a very calm friendly clownfish. I have no idea if he is male or female now but he was the male when mated and he hasn't grown much since. It has been 3 years or so. He has never reached the size of my big females. The other clown I have is the yellow stripe maroon female I mentioned earlier that happens to be a sweetie. Personally with my limited experience, I will never purposely have 2 mated clowns again. That was when they got mean. All my single clowns have been great.

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is a PITA. Always bites my hand when its in the tank. Once I got fed up and chased him down and gave him a good spanking....

Not really, but I just evicted him because I got new tenants for the anemone. Oh and i probably swat him with a turkey baster once or twice,.. or five. LOL

IMG_2292.jpg

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs now offers a detoothing (is that a word ?) as well as a teeth cleaning service for clowns.i guess sense the designer clown industry took off attack clowns have become a problem.i'm not sure why they need regular cleanings but he offers it anyway.
it's not covered by most dental insurance but I don't think it's overly expensive but you will need to contact him for the final cost. they do have a waiting list he says is less than three weeks.the application process is simple but does require a $300 deposit.they do offer financing but i'm not sure how that works.
In the end it may be cheaper than all the bandaids and tissues we are spending money on battling the " evil fish".i keep some dirt by the tank to rub on it when it happens and sometimes call my mommy.

Last edited:

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch at 0:55

I remember reading something about making them associate your hand with food. I am going to try hand feeding them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back