Clownfish Bonding, going well or terribly wrong? Youtube video instead of me typing paragraph

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Got these two clownfish; first the small "flurry" percula X Ocellaris initially, then 2 days later, the much larger Mocha storm Clown.

The Mocha Storm Clown is very aggressive and spends her time patrolling the tank while checking in on her buddy and beating him up, some times she darts at him though and and stops short and they both swim together. At nights they are in the same area; throughout the day she gets in these relentless attack moods.

Anyways can someone watch this youtube video and let me know how the bonding is going or even if it is going on? We are in week 3 rn; maybe my male isnt even male, though he is the size of your fore-thumb and the mocha storm is an entire thumb.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bit of a mixed bag. There are a lot of signs that they are establishing dominance. The smaller clown doesn't look overly stressed and stays near the other most of the video. The most promising sign I saw was when the larger one turned sideways and shook really fast. IME this is a behavior of dominance establishment. Eventually you should, hopefully, see the smaller do the same in return. In essence saying "Look, your the boss, now let me hang with you!"

Nanoduder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced two similarly sized clowns to my tank at the same time. Initially they got along great then after about a week they started fighting constantly. After about 3 or 4 days the fighting stopped and they get along fine. If you don't notice any damage, I'd leave them be.

OP
OP
T

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bit of a mixed bag. There are a lot of signs that they are establishing dominance. The smaller clown doesn't look overly stressed and stays near the other most of the video. The most promising sign I saw was when the larger one turned sideways and shook really fast. IME this is a behavior of dominance establishment. Eventually you should, hopefully, see the smaller do the same in return. In essence saying "Look, your the boss, now let me hang with you!"
I have seen him do the "wiggle" a few times which ended the mocha's tirade on him; this confirms he is at least male? They both came from the same tank that had 20+ clowns, albeit he was purchased two days earlier, both fish were quarantined together and introduced to the main tank together.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen him do the "wiggle" a few times which ended the mocha's tirade on him; this confirms he is at least male? They both came from the same tank that had 20+ clowns, albeit he was purchased two days earlier, both fish were quarantined together and introduced to the main tank together.
At his current size I would be pretty certain the smaller one is male. The larger could be a female, but is likely at least transitioning to female. Either way, it is the dominant fish.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are seeing typical dominance behavior. As long as one will concede, you will not have an issue. Generally the smaller always does. I do not see injury or major stress. Just normal stress. I saw the wiggling and that is their speak for "hey, I am your master, yes, ma'am you are". Those two should do fine together.

As far as the female making the male stay in certain spots, that is normal too. My male is still bossed to only specific areas of the tank. They have been together for a year. Just give him some areas to hide at to get away.

OP
OP
T

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are seeing typical dominance behavior. As long as one will concede, you will not have an issue. Generally the smaller always does. I do not see injury or major stress. Just normal stress. I saw the wiggling and that is their speak for "hey, I am your master, yes, ma'am you are". Those two should do fine together.

As far as the female making the male stay in certain spots, that is normal too. My male is still bossed to only specific areas of the tank. They have been together for a year. Just give him some areas to hide at to get away.
At his current size I would be pretty certain the smaller one is male. The larger could be a female, but is likely at least transitioning to female. Either way, it is the dominant fish.
I introduced two similarly sized clowns to my tank at the same time. Initially they got along great then after about a week they started fighting constantly. After about 3 or 4 days the fighting stopped and they get along fine. If you don't notice any damage, I'd leave them be.
Longer 3 min video, I think I captured 2 return wiggles???? more slow and fast interactions, plus my goofy a##.
Is all above confirmed?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is certainly larger than the other and from the size, their is no way the little one is anything but male. The larger is just making sure it becomes the female. It will take time. I saw some wiggling by the little guy. What a cute pair. Soon to be she is just charging, no biting.
I did not have sound on, but it seems pretty normal soon to be female behavior. It does not usually get too much better. She will allow him around more as she matures and wants to lay eggs. Could take a year or more. As long as they are eating and not damaged, should be fine. As things grow into the tank, they will provide more separation opportunities and less outright aggression.

OP
OP
T

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is certainly larger than the other and from the size, their is no way the little one is anything but male. The larger is just making sure it becomes the female. It will take time. I saw some wiggling by the little guy. What a cute pair. Soon to be she is just charging, no biting.
I did not have sound on, but it seems pretty normal soon to be female behavior. It does not usually get too much better. She will allow him around more as she matures and wants to lay eggs. Could take a year or more. As long as they are eating and not damaged, should be fine. As things grow into the tank, they will provide more separation opportunities and less outright aggression.
So it's been a month and here is a video update, what do you think?

They really chilled out with each other and spent alot of time together the past 3 ish weeks and slept together.

but thing s have picked up again, she chases more and keeps him hiding in nooks and he defends sometimes now

Normal to come in waves? He is still really small compared to her, she hogs the food and he gets little bits that float vy

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back