Clownfish breathing heavy?

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like heavy breathing? She’s been doing it a lot today, and so is the fire fish goby that is also in the tank.

10 gal nano I set up a couple weeks ago from an existing tank. Seems to have a huge Dino bloom. I haven’t done a water change due to this, to boost nutrients. Today I did a 3 gal water change from my main tank because I woke up with a dead blood shrimp, and the nem was very open like a flat plate, tentacles shrunken in. Usually the tentacles are very much out. Also the fish are breathing heavy, as if there’s a lack of oxygen. I have the return pump and a power head going. What could I check or do next?

Ammonia 0, nitrate 5, phosphate 0, 1.025, 77’,

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like heavy breathing? She’s been doing it a lot today, and so is the fire fish goby that is also in the tank.

10 gal nano I set up a couple weeks ago from an existing tank. Seems to have a huge Dino bloom. I haven’t done a water change due to this, to boost nutrients. Today I did a 3 gal water change from my main tank because I woke up with a dead blood shrimp, and the nem was very open like a flat plate, tentacles shrunken in. Usually the tentacles are very much out. Also the fish are breathing heavy, as if there’s a lack of oxygen. I have the return pump and a power head going. What could I check or do next?

Ammonia 0, nitrate 5, phosphate 0, 1.025, 77’,

Yes - the clown is breathing fast, but it seems environmental, not disease related.

Depending on your set up - good water flow does not always equate to good gas exchange (CO2 out and oxygen in).
Do you know the pH of the tank? That can give some indication of the CO2 level.

Whenever you see a fish breathing heavy, it is generally a good idea to add supplemental aeration (not just circulation) to the tank via an air stone, to see if the issue clears up.

Jay

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - the clown is breathing fast, but it seems environmental, not disease related.

Depending on your set up - good water flow does not always equate to good gas exchange (CO2 out and oxygen in).
Do you know the pH of the tank? That can give some indication of the CO2 level.

Whenever you see a fish breathing heavy, it is generally a good idea to add supplemental aeration (not just circulation) to the tank via an air stone, to see if the issue clears up.

Jay
Thanks a lot for the reply jay. I see there’s an o2 issue and pointed a return pump to the surface. I plan on getting an air stone for the next time I need it.

Also, if you get bored, please see this thread where we’ve gone through some issues I’ve had today. Something is wrong with this tank. Thanks again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the reply jay. I see there’s an o2 issue and pointed a return pump to the surface. I plan on getting an air stone for the next time I need it.

Also, if you get bored, please see this thread where we’ve gone through some issues I’ve had today. Something is wrong with this tank. Thanks again

With the shrimp dying, the fish breathing hard and the anemone looking off, the first diagnosis is as I said, low oxygen or high CO2. If the air stone does reduce the symptoms then there is some toxin in the water.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back