• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Clownfish breeders: is the longfin trait recessive or dominant?

Betta_baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi! I have a 20 gallon species tank for ocellaris clownfish. Currently I am looking into getting a longfin mocha, I just love the way they look. My other clown is a 2 year old mocha female.
In the future I would love to breed them. Is the gene that causes long fins dominant or recessive? What percent of offspring should come out longfin?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
be careful with ensuring you get a male longfin. If you intend on breeding them I would get a pair of them however if you cross breed them you eliminate the inbreeding cons but you get less and less long fin's

I imagine the longfin trait is recessive but I can't say for sure

someone at #reefsquad might know

OP
Betta_baby

Betta_baby

View Badges
Reaction score
be careful with ensuring you get a male longfin. If you intend on breeding them I would get a pair of them however if you cross breed them you eliminate the inbreeding cons but you get less and less long fin's

Thank you for your response! I definitely want to get a small male, it will be cheaper and they reach sexual maturity faster. I currently breed and hope to soon show halfmoon bettas, so health is definitely more important to me than pretty fish. I love a longfin, but regular mochas are gorgeous too!

OP
Betta_baby

Betta_baby

View Badges
Reaction score

Thank you for your response! I definitely want to get a small male, it will be cheaper and they reach sexual maturity faster. I currently breed and hope to soon show halfmoon bettas, so health is definitely more important to me than pretty fish. I love a longfin, but regular mochas are gorgeous too!

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
There are 2 different long fin strains, I would consider them co-dominant. expect 1%-2% to show the long fin trait with your pairing

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
865-262-0507 Sustainable Aquatics. Huge clown hatchery. Ask for Amy. She would be able to answer your question.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
it's not common for facilitys to share that kind of information. Matthew and I have talked aquaculture on several occasions.

How often do you have some type of algae issue?

• Constantly Something

Votes: 175 43.9%
  • Every Month

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Every Few Months

Votes: 48 12.0%
  • A Few Times A Year

Votes: 55 13.8%
  • Once A Year Or So

Votes: 45 11.3%
  • Every Few years

Votes: 18 4.5%