Clownfish breeders: is the longfin trait recessive or dominant?

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have a 20 gallon species tank for ocellaris clownfish. Currently I am looking into getting a longfin mocha, I just love the way they look. My other clown is a 2 year old mocha female.
In the future I would love to breed them. Is the gene that causes long fins dominant or recessive? What percent of offspring should come out longfin?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be careful with ensuring you get a male longfin. If you intend on breeding them I would get a pair of them however if you cross breed them you eliminate the inbreeding cons but you get less and less long fin's

I imagine the longfin trait is recessive but I can't say for sure

someone at #reefsquad might know

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be careful with ensuring you get a male longfin. If you intend on breeding them I would get a pair of them however if you cross breed them you eliminate the inbreeding cons but you get less and less long fin's

Thank you for your response! I definitely want to get a small male, it will be cheaper and they reach sexual maturity faster. I currently breed and hope to soon show halfmoon bettas, so health is definitely more important to me than pretty fish. I love a longfin, but regular mochas are gorgeous too!

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for your response! I definitely want to get a small male, it will be cheaper and they reach sexual maturity faster. I currently breed and hope to soon show halfmoon bettas, so health is definitely more important to me than pretty fish. I love a longfin, but regular mochas are gorgeous too!

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 different long fin strains, I would consider them co-dominant. expect 1%-2% to show the long fin trait with your pairing

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
865-262-0507 Sustainable Aquatics. Huge clown hatchery. Ask for Amy. She would be able to answer your question.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's not common for facilitys to share that kind of information. Matthew and I have talked aquaculture on several occasions.

Back