Clownfish Breeders "What food do you recommend?"

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to ALL Clownfish Breeder
My clownfish has lay eggs for the second time. After feeding the rotifer for the first 7 days.

Question: What food do you feed after the rotifer?
Recommendation what food?
How long do you feed this special food?
Where to buy?

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to ALL Clownfish Breeder
My clownfish has lay eggs for the second time. After feeding the rotifer for the first 7 days.

Question: What food do you feed after the rotifer?
Recommendation what food?
How long do you feed this special food?
Where to buy?
There is a lot to answer here so let me recommend this book to you - https://www.amazon.com/Clownfishes-Captive-Breeding-Natural-History/dp/1890087041
I have raised thousands of clowns and this is where I learned how.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Otohime line of product. After 5-6 days or so, other than feeding them rotifer, I sprinkle some Otohime A in the water. I increase the Otohime A when I see more fly eating it. And slowly decrease feeding them rotifer.

WestOhooligan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed TDO from Reed Mariculture. At 5 days old, I start to feed TDO A. TDO B1 at around 9-10 days old. Then B2 at around 15 days old.

Don't screw up like me though. On my first successful batch I fed nothing but TDO and they wouldn't eat anything but. Oops! I made sure all subsequent batches were introduced to other food before I sold them. TDO with Chromaboost will give you the best color for sure. When I was in Omaha, the retail stores gave me more for my ocellaris than the other guy breeding simply because of how colorful my fish were compared to his faded yellow, sad looking fish.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always mix my Otohime with Naturose Powder and small amount of Spirulina powder. My LFS always said my fish are even more vibrant then they get from their wholesalers.

IMG_3491s-Batch3-720.jpg

IMG_3696s-720.jpg

IMG_3558-720.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always mix my Otohime with Naturose Powder and small amount of Spirulina powder. My LFS always said my fish are even more vibrant then they get from their wholesalers.

IMG_3491s-Batch3-720.jpg

IMG_3696s-720.jpg

IMG_3558-720.jpg
I definitely can see how vibrant the color orange..sweet!

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't screw up like me though. On my first successful batch I fed nothing but TDO and they wouldn't eat anything but. Oops! I made sure all subsequent batches were introduced to other food before I sold them. TDO with Chromaboost will give you the best color for sure. When I was in Omaha, the retail stores gave me more for my ocellaris than the other guy breeding simply because of how colorful my fish were compared to his faded yellow, sad looking fish.
I know rotifer is what is fed for the first 7 days. I have a nice culture of rotifer going in 2 separate 5 gallon buckets.
Well I'm just trying to get back into it. I did mess up, first in setting a fry tank for the eggs, I made fresh saltwater. When I should have taken 2-3 gallons from where the parents and pot was. Secondly I took out the pot to soon, the eggs hatched 4 days later maybe less than 15 but within 2 days they all died. The cluster was so small maybe less than 30 eggs. Waiting on the 3rd spawn. Now I'm feeding LRS Fertlity Frenzy, pellets. I'm going to start a new tread breeding my awesome Picasso.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I weaned them off Otohime as soon as they can eat the normal pellet food. Normal pellets are much cheaper. :) I still coat the normal pellets with the Naturose and Spirulina powder though.

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c8/naturose-c64.html

You don't need much. 8oz can last you a lifetime until you are sick of breeding. :D

Last edited:

WestOhooligan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WesleyC, nice looking clowns. I always get compliments on mine as well based on the diet I fed them. I'm just getting back in to breeding again and I think I'll go with your approach with the Naturose and spirulina powder.

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I learn that trick from KathyL in a breeder forum.

Mix 1g naturose with 100g dry food. Mix very well.
Add the contents of 2 x 1 gram capsules of fish oil (health food stores, vitamin sections) or 2 ml canola oil (1 tsp = 5 ml)
Mix very well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back