Clownfish breeding

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. As many of you know I started breeding clownfish last year and was doing very well until I went on vacation and had the system with my fry and some older pairs I intended to breed crash, killing all of them. In the past month the ocellaris started breeding again as well as my frostbite pair. I have a couple of batches from the ocellaris and one 6 day old batch from the frostbite. The frostbites aren't old enough to develop color yet but I can't wait to see what they are going to look like. Also, I'm hopefully going to pick up a breeding pair of midnight lightning clowns on Saturday so hopefully they will start breeding for me soon. I've gathered up quite a collection in the last few months. Right now I have the regular ocellaris, frostbites, black snowflake, 3 pairs of lightning maroons, and my son bought a pair of snow onyx to breed himself. The cool thing is that he is very interested in breeding clowns. I hope we continue to have good luck with them.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever the frostbites babies start to develop colors I'll post some pictures. From what I have read, I could get some frostbites, Wyoming whites, DaVinci, etc.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the guy that was selling the midnight lightnings messaged me last night and told me the male jumped and he found him dead on the floor. I decided I didn't want to drive all the way to Huntsville to get a single female. I was mainly wanting them since they were already breeding. Kind of a bummer.

The frostbites are starting to develop some color. Hopefully I will remember to bring the camera downstairs so I can take some pictures tomorrow.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pictures of the fry from the frostbites. They are still pretty tiny and hard to focus on.
IMG_5454.JPG
IMG_5435.JPG
IMG_5439.JPG
IMG_5444.JPG
IMG_5448.JPG
IMG_5449.JPG
IMG_5451.JPG

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MIke, that is AWESOME. I am going to build a fry rack similar to yours but for just two 10G tanks. How are you capturing the Fry on hatch night? I was going to attempt to pull the flower pot that mine are laid on and keep it submerged and move it to one of the 10g tanks that was freshly filled from my DT. Below the two 10g tanks, I was going to keep my buckets for Rotifers. Id love to chat with you sometime soon about your setup.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it took me so long. I'm in Florida right now. I take out the pots on hatch night and put them in the fry tanks. You don't have to worry about them being underwater as long as they don't fry out. Well talk soon about it. Btw, I'm planning to bring back a really nice pair from a breeder down here. I'll post pictures later.

John Gemmel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesom job looks good! following wanna setup one in near future. Do you keep the clowns in a tank to themselves with just flower pot?

Also I have a single lightning maroon if your interested

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok @rcmike when they are ready I'll buy a pair of frostbite, if your selling that is, super cool to see it done and I'd love to support your project by purchasing fish!

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the ones I have breeding are in my reef tank and a frag tank, both with anemones also. My newer pairs are in 10 gal. ranks by themselves. I have recently switched to tiles instead of pots since it is supposedly a little easier to get even aeriation over them.

I already have 3 lightning maroon pairs so I'm all set on those. Thanks though.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok @rcmike when they are ready I'll buy a pair of frostbite, if your selling that is, super cool to see it done and I'd love to support your project by purchasing fish!
Yes, I'll be selling them. I'm not sure exactly what they will look like yet. They are a little small to tell.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cycle starts this weekend, finishingup a lanthum chloride bath on my rocks, so I'm a week or two out ! I'll check back here for updates.

John Gemmel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you buy them as pairs to breed or do you pair them up?
I was afraid of buying two lightning from the same clutch wanna to get another one from a different breeder or isbthat to hard to pair up?
Thanks

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late update. I've been pretty busy since we got back on Friday. Here is the pair we went to pick up. The male is from Doni Snowcasso parents and the female is a Cquest Onyx Picasso. This is the breeders video he sent me.

While we were there we picked up this other pair which they are calling Snowbites. The parents are a Frostbite and Extreme Snow Onyx.

We also picked up a Bashsea skimmer and he threw in a Cquest Onyx pair for my son.

Here is an updated video of our Frostbite babies. They are developing some interesting patterns.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you buy them as pairs to breed or do you pair them up?
I was afraid of buying two lightning from the same clutch wanna to get another one from a different breeder or isbthat to hard to pair up?
Thanks

Some of them I bought as pairs and some I paired up. Maroons are pretty hard to pair. The best way is to start with a very large female and a small male. Maroons have been known to kill each other. I had one of my lightnings kill the other a few months ago.

Did you help the clowns host the anemone

No, they went in them pretty quickly.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick video of the frostbites babies I took this morning. They are a little over 2 months old now.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very cool father/son activity!! He'll have great memories for a lifetime!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back