Clownfish breeding

steve_london_uk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Sorry to jump onto this thread but wondered if you could give me some advice.

I have a 100g mixed reef with two breeding maroons who always lay on a flowerpot that I put in with a rose tip anemone inside. The night or night before hatching I move it (keeping it underwater) into what is probably a 10l plastic fish tank that I leave floating in the main tank to maintain the same temperature. The following morning the majority of the eggs have turned white ands died. I can't understand why. I usually fill this plastic tank up with tank water two days before and leave with an air stone to settle. Literally overnight the majority die.

I usually have around 20-30 survivors which I feed rotifers and I start doing 50 water changes after 3 days by dripping the new water as to not shock them. They all die within about 5 days.

Any help or advice or pointers of where I am going wrong would be helpful.

Thanks, Steve

steve_london_uk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Sorry to jump onto this thread but wondered if you could give me some advice.

I have a 100g mixed reef with two breeding maroons who always lay on a flowerpot that I put in with a rose tip anemone inside. The night or night before hatching I move it (keeping it underwater) into what is probably a 10l plastic fish tank that I leave floating in the main tank to maintain the same temperature. The following morning the majority of the eggs have turned white ands died. I can't understand why. I usually fill this plastic tank up with tank water two days before and leave with an air stone to settle. Literally overnight the majority die.

I usually have around 20-30 survivors which I feed rotifers and I start doing 50 water changes after 3 days by dripping the new water as to not shock them. They all die within about 5 days.

Any help or advice or pointers of where I am going wrong would be helpful.

Thanks, Steve

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a batch of seahorses born this morning. I have raised some in the past and had them breed several times since but never got around to raising them. My 2 females mysteriously died over the last couple of weeks but the males still seem ok. One of the males was pregnant so I decided I'd better try to raise the babies. Hopefully I can get some to adulthood.

I've started hatching clowns again. So far just a couple of ocellaris batches about a week old but more on the way!

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I got kind of burnt out before and am trying to take it slow with the clownfish this time. I tried to raise them all before and it was too much.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think its bad ***
Thanks!

The parents of the regular ocellaris pair that I hatched recently must have been some kind of designer clowns. The fry are getting their stripes and there appears to be some interesting designs developing. When you breed most designer ocellaris there are some that come out as regular ocellaris but they carry the genes of the parents so they can have other types of clowns.

I hatched a batch of Wyoming Whites a couple of nights ago and they are doing well.

I finally got my pair of black snowflakes to not eat their eggs and put them in a tank to hatch last night. Only one of them hatched so hopefully the rest will hatch tonight.

I had a surprise hatch of pipefish from one I bought at Aquatic Critter a week ago. When I bought it I thought it looked like it had eggs but later on I thought it didn’t look like it. I was watching it eat last night and it did a little wiggle and about 20 baby pipefish came out! During the night a lot more came out. I put them in the 15 gal. tank that I have the seahorse kreisel tank in. There are hundreds of tiny thread looking pipefish swimming around in there. I fed them baby brine shrimp and saw some eat so hopefully some will survive.
1E22B81D-7172-4B72-AC27-54F0BB5E8298.jpeg
53F14BFB-12A5-4ED1-A930-0288A9150417.jpeg

StarshipReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

The parents of the regular ocellaris pair that I hatched recently must have been some kind of designer clowns. The fry are getting their stripes and there appears to be some interesting designs developing. When you breed most designer ocellaris there are some that come out as regular ocellaris but they carry the genes of the parents so they can have other types of clowns.

I hatched a batch of Wyoming Whites a couple of nights ago and they are doing well.

I finally got my pair of black snowflakes to not eat their eggs and put them in a tank to hatch last night. Only one of them hatched so hopefully the rest will hatch tonight.

I had a surprise hatch of pipefish from one I bought at Aquatic Critter a week ago. When I bought it I thought it looked like it had eggs but later on I thought it didn’t look like it. I was watching it eat last night and it did a little wiggle and about 20 baby pipefish came out! During the night a lot more came out. I put them in the 15 gal. tank that I have the seahorse kreisel tank in. There are hundreds of tiny thread looking pipefish swimming around in there. I fed them baby brine shrimp and saw some eat so hopefully some will survive.
1E22B81D-7172-4B72-AC27-54F0BB5E8298.jpeg
53F14BFB-12A5-4ED1-A930-0288A9150417.jpeg
Man thats so cool one day ill give it a shot

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little better video of he pipefish and some of the clownfish. I downloaded an app which lets me manually focus my iPhone and that helped a lot although the clownfish were darting around too much to get a good video. I can’t wait to see how the clown at the beginning of the video turns out.

StarshipReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little better video of he pipefish and some of the clownfish. I downloaded an app which lets me manually focus my iPhone and that helped a lot although the clownfish were darting around too much to get a good video. I can’t wait to see how the clown at the beginning of the video turns out.

do you sell any of your fish you breed?

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you sell any of your fish you breed?
Yes. I’ve mostly been taking them to aquatic critter but I sell them to anybody. I’ve taken a few to Emerald Bay too. I had a table at the last frag swap also.
The main reason I don’t push selling to individuals is a lot of times it’s a hassle to meet up with people. I’ve waited for someone all day Saturday before and they never showed up and stuff like that.

StarshipReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I’ve mostly been taking them to aquatic critter but I sell them to anybody. I’ve taken a few to Emerald Bay too. I had a table at the last frag swap also.
The main reason I don’t push selling to individuals is a lot of times it’s a hassle to meet up with people. I’ve waited for someone all day Saturday before and they never showed up and stuff like that.
totally understand i want one of those pipefish they look awesome

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally understand i want one of those pipefish they look awesome
Well see how it goes. I’m not going to count my chickens before they hatch but if can raise a fourth of them I should have plenty available

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick video of some of the clownfish babies. The first one were from a regular ocellaris pair that obviously had some other genetics in there. The second ones are Wyoming white, and the third tank are black snowflake. This is the first batch of black snowflake I’ve raised. Exited to see how they develop.

I'm trying to decide if I want to get a booth at the frag swap again this year. If all goes well I should have several selling age by then.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back