Clownfish bullying Yellow Tang

Aquageek450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently setup a Red Sea Reefer 250 and transferred my mated pair of clowns into the new tank. I've had them for about 4 years or so and they have never messed with any other tank mates. After about a week of them being in the new tank I added a small yellow tang, he is still bigger than the biggest clown. For the past two weeks the larger clown has been chasing him around and fin nipping his tale. even if the yellow tang is on the opposite side of the tank, the clown will swim over and pick on him. The tang is eating fine and doesn't seem to mind this much, but I want them to eventually get along.

I read online that usually the yellow tang is the bully, why wont mine put the clownish in his place? lol

Maybe they are fighting for dominance in the tank? Will this go on forever?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 50 gallon tank, 36” in length I believe.

This tank is way to small for a tang of any kind.

The pair of clowns being there first have basically set their territory, which is most of the tank.

I would recommend rehoming the tang as it is doubtful the aggression will stop.

Consider other fish that will reside is other areas of the tank.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Tangs can be aggressive towards some but not all tank mates. Size of the tank, size of the fish, type of fish, number of fish in your tank and time frame/ order in which you added fish to your tank are all key contributors that can effect possible behavioral outcome. Moreover, fish behavioral traits can be very different from one fish to another regardless if they are same species.
Clownfish, especially as a pair, can be downright nasty. If you have ever put your hand in your tank housing a pair of Clownfish and trust me, you will remove your hand twice as fast as you put your hand in the tank. They bite with a vengeance, to the point of drawing blood with a confrontation with larger Percula or Oscillaris species. Maroon and Tomato Clown species can be more boisterous than the first two mentioned.
So to answer your question, it probably won’t happen and there isn’t really any concrete evidence that says it will.
Possibly, by adding another fish to your bioload, you may be able to crack the code regarding the attitude of your Clown and curb its aggression somewhat to the point that it leaves your Tang alone.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree tank is too small for the yellow really, and I'd bet your clowns are either close to spawning if they have not already, and the clowns are keeping it in check or away from eggs, or just claiming their own territory

OP
OP
Aquageek450

Aquageek450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured everyone would be concerned about the tank size, however this tang is very small maybe 2". He seems perfectly happy and seems to have plenty of space to swim around. Obviously as he grows too big for the tank he will be re-homed. The tang just minds his own business and swims around, the clown targets him and only him. The clown is peaceful with every other fish in the tank. Maybe once the Anemone which has always hosted the clowns gets situated and back to its normal glory the clowns will focus more on that than the tang. I have a Royal Gramma in the tank and my flame angel did something similar for a while, but now they are peaceful. Hopefully time will help the situation.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the clowns may be a better judge of character, and in the know of what is most likely coming from your yellow.
The swim space is an issue, whether you recognize it or not, and the issue will most likely escalate from here.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 50 gallon tank, 36” in length I believe.

This tank is way to small for a tang of any kind.

The pair of clowns being there first have basically set their territory, which is most of the tank.

I would recommend rehoming the tang as it is doubtful the aggression will stop.

Consider other fish that will reside is other areas of the tank.

I agree with that. I had a YT that was about 40% grown and shared a 90 gallon with 3 other fish (PJ Cardinal, Melanurus Wrasse, Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel) and it tried to claim the whole tank for itself after about a month. I would say a minimum of a 5 foot long tank for a YT long term and 6 foot or longer really is best. They are definitely jerks though. A One Spot Foxface is a much better alternative (but only if you are around the 100 gallon or larger range).

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured everyone would be concerned about the tank size, however this tang is very small maybe 2". He seems perfectly happy and seems to have plenty of space to swim around. Obviously as he grows too big for the tank he will be re-homed. The tang just minds his own business and swims around, the clown targets him and only him. The clown is peaceful with every other fish in the tank. Maybe once the Anemone which has always hosted the clowns gets situated and back to its normal glory the clowns will focus more on that than the tang. I have a Royal Gramma in the tank and my flame angel did something similar for a while, but now they are peaceful. Hopefully time will help the situation.

It's not about the size of the fish, but the attitude and the level of activity of said fish. That said, established clowns can be downright terrors to ANY new additions.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I love a fish tank that actually fish in it!
[emoji846]
Just be careful with water changes and low O2. The deaths cascade quickly.
[emoji53]

Glad you started with a small yellow tang. I did too.
[emoji846]

Glad you planned on rehoming it.
[emoji846]
But unfortunately, that tank is too small for more than 6 months.
4' of travel (at a minimum) is important.
We have a 1.5" yellow tang that has already grown to almost 2" in several months.
Rods reef food and nori makes for some good growth.

They grow quickly with proper nutrition.
Yes, that's a double edged statement.
If it's not growing quickly that doesn't mean it's a good thing.
[emoji53]

Ours is in a 75 gallon tank. That is barely adequate for now. Most people say it is not adequate when the tang is full size. I may need to rehome it in as little as 2-3 years.
They live for over a decade.

For reference, tape a silhouette cut out of a 6" fish to your glass.

The flipside is your clowns can easily claim most of your 50 gallon tank as theirs.

A fish that moves across the entire length of the tank constantly will constantly set off the clown fish.

Very impressed that you got the clowns and the flame angel and the royal gramma to play nice in that size tank. I guess the gramma is easy enough and stays put and the clowns and flame angel are well matched?
[emoji846]

Think the tang is in "last straw" territory though.

That is based on personal experience over stuffing a tank and having it go very badly.
[emoji53]
fwiw

Your tank looks beautiful. Best of luck with it.
[emoji846]

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back