Clownfish cohabitation

KingPsycho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm building my first reef tank. It's a 38 gallon tank, and I'm planning on keeping a pair of common clownfish in it. I would like to add 1 other fish that is reef safe to the mix, any recommendations? It will also probably have an assortment of snails and shrimp for cleaners. Thanks in advance!

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in a 38 gallon you can probably add a total of around 5 fish if you want. And there are all types of options for you. Just all depends on taste. You can definitely go with most gobies, wrasses, basslets, blennies, chromis, dartfish, and cardinalfish.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm building my first reef tank. It's a 38 gallon tank, and I'm planning on keeping a pair of common clownfish in it. I would like to add 1 other fish that is reef safe to the mix, any recommendations? It will also probably have an assortment of snails and shrimp for cleaners. Thanks in advance!
a few notes that can help:

I would say to add the clowns last, otherwise it can lead to some aggression issues.

If you are planning on keep a watchman goby, have a sandbed at least 2 inches deep

make sure rocks are on underneath sand, and not on top of it.

do not mix species of cleaner shrimp (coral banded, fire shrimp, skunk cleaners, etc). They will likely fight

consider having a lid, it will prevent fish from jumping out and getting hurt.

Here's a few cool fish:

Firefish: smaller, fast fish that is shy at first, but will be more confident in time, very peacful

YWG (yellow watchman goby): burrowing guy who chills in the sand, can pair up with a tiger pistol shrimp and theyll work together to build their home)

Blue/Sharknose goby: (more relaxed fish that may clean other fish)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back