Clownfish developed orange spots, heavy breathing, lethargy

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two days ago I noticed my wife's black ice clown was breathing slightly heavy and was lethargic. After checking again today, he developed these orange spots on both sides of his body. System is a FOWLR with one rock bore urchin, another mated male black ice clown,, exquisite firefish, bicolor blenny, and cleaner goby. Parameters are currently unknown but have been stable, and a waterchange is scheduled for tomorrow. All other fish are impeccably healthy. I haven't been able to diagnose this. Does anyone know what this is?
20210401_164031.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Operator Wrasse

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely are not lumps. If anything, it might be tissue showing from missing scales.

OP
OP
Operator Wrasse

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a Methylene Blue dip regiment yesterday and just dosed API Melafix to the system. I will continue this until I have a better answer. Only thing I can think of is bacterial.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had this fish and how old was it when you acquired it?

The lesions look like missing scales and the muscle tissue is showing through. There is also some fraying on the trailing edge of the soft dorsal fin. The rapid breathing implies a systemic infection. Methylene blue may help, but true antibiotics would be best - I doubt that Melafix is going to help much with this, it is more of a tonic than an antibiotic.

Jay

OP
OP
Operator Wrasse

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is somewhere between 1 and 2 years old, from my LFS. It has been in the system for 8 months and went through QT. Do you recommend a specific antibiotic? These were the only things on hand that I could at least start with. Thank you, Jay.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K. - I just wanted to rule out a specific old age disease, mycobacterium.
Of the true antibiotics, they all are best dosed in a treatment tank as a full time bath. If you don’t have a treatment tank, you can try a 1 hour bath in an aerated bucket twice a day at triple the dose. This isn’t quite as effective though.
In terms of antibiotic to use, you need a broad spectrum gram negative one; Neoplex, Furan-2 or even Maracyn 2.
Jay

OP
OP
Operator Wrasse

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of these medications considered reef safe or at least FOWLR safe? I don't know if I'll be able to set up a QT in time.

OP
OP
Operator Wrasse

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the clown passed away tonight. I was unable to get medication. Tonight, she displayed cloudy eyes, rapid fit rot, and more lesions. This infection moved very, very fast. 3 days total with no way to declare a cause on day 1.

This is a hard lesson moving forward... I will take more care if having medication prepped instead of relying on 1 day shipping from Amazon. Although, I'm still not confident in knowing which antibiotic would have worked when selecting one.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back