Clownfish died newbie questions

Dwhitzdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to saltwater have had fresh water tanks for many years. My wife an I decided that we were going to take the plunge into saltwater. We purchased a 24g nano. local LFS helped get everything together. We did a quick start tank with dry rock and we added clownfish first day. I questioned this but LFS said it was ok to do. They both died within 3-5 days so we waited. Two months later we go back and get 2 more clownfish they are doing great swinging in the tank and I see no issues they are eating and they seem healthy. About two weeks later I go and get two LPS corals a chalice and a blasto place them in the tank. I dipped the corals like I was instructed to and acclimated them to the tank. The clownfish seem to be doing well, later that evening I notice white spots on the clownfish. They are small and all over both of them. I think ok its ich. but not sure a few hours later one of the clownfish is dead. I pull it out and I notice it has lost it's color basically it turned white and looked slimy. The second one also died a few hours later. The same thing lost its color and slimy. I have looked on the forums and I'm thinking it's Brook. So now for my questions as I've stated I am new to saltwater. I have a few hermit crabs, a counch, Trouchus snails, pepermint shrimp and a emerald crab plus the 2 corals. Do I have to remove these from the tank or just let the tank fallow for 90 days? I purchased another tank for QT purposes I just have to wait for it to cycle. Did I do something wrong? Could the fish have been sick from the local LFS? Could the corals have had something? I did add 5 Trouches snails at the same time as the clownfish. Any and all help would be great thanks in advance.

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like brook or velvet, could of come in on the coral or the inverts tbf.. leave tank fish less for 3 months basically.. inverts and corals are fine, but if you add any other corals then the time should be reset.. sorry you’ve had a bad start to the hobby but better to learn the lesson early on imo ..I would consider another LFS also

Last edited:

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Seems like a rough time to welcome you to R2R, but welcome.

It seems like a matter of hours is awfully sudden for the fish to die after introducing the corals. Even for brook. I could be wrong. @Jay Hemdal, any ideas?

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like brook or velvet, could of come in on the coral or the inverts tbf.. leave tank fish less for 3 months basically.. inverts and corals are fine, but if you add any other corals then the time should be reset.. sorry you’ve had a bad start to the hobby but better to learn the lesson early on imo ..I would consider another LFS also
Thank you. I want to do a 120g or bigger but I figured that I’d start small and learn all I can. I agree it’s a lesson learned.

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Seems like a rough time to welcome you to R2R, but welcome.

It seems like a matter of hours is awfully sudden for the fish to die after introducing the corals. Even for brook. I could be wrong. @Jay Hemdal, any ideas?
Thanks for the welcome. Yeah that’s what got me I wasn’t sure.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah agreed with @AnotherFaceInTheCrowd and @Dbichler, that store is not trustworthy. The fact your inverts are fine tells me you are ok with ammonia, they are typically the first to go. I'm not sure if you are testing parameters but you might want to get some kits if you havent already. The corals will appreciate stability in those.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, the last two clowns probably died from Amyloodinium, velvet. The early symptoms are easy to miss, so many people's first clue is right before the fish die. Sorry you had such a rough start.

Here's what I would do: let your tank run fallow (no fish) for 80 days. During that time, set up a small quarantine tank. enjoy your corals and inverts in your main tank and then, about halfway through the fallow period, get a few more clownfish. Treat them in the quarantine tank for 30 days with Coppersafe, then two weeks of General cure, then watch them for two more weeks - if all looks good, move them to your display tank.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah agreed with @AnotherFaceInTheCrowd and @Dbichler, that store is not trustworthy. The fact your inverts are fine tells me you are ok with ammonia, they are typically the first to go. I'm not sure if you are testing parameters but you might want to get some kits if you havent already. The corals will appreciate stability in those.
I have a API tester I'm looking into th Hanna testers at the moment.

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, the last two clowns probably died from Amyloodinium, velvet. The early symptoms are easy to miss, so many people's first clue is right before the fish die. Sorry you had such a rough start.

Here's what I would do: let your tank run fallow (no fish) for 80 days. During that time, set up a small quarantine tank. enjoy your corals and inverts in your main tank and then, about halfway through the fallow period, get a few more clownfish. Treat them in the quarantine tank for 30 days with Coppersafe, then two weeks of General cure, then watch them for two more weeks - if all looks good, move them to your display tank.

Jay
Will do thank you

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet the first 2 died from ammonia and the second 2 from velvet. Either way go fallow for at least 76 days and resume. But never go back tol that lfs. Welcome to r2r. Read a a much as you can and you’ll be good.
Thank you. I agree with you we are looking into finding another LFS.

Back