• IMG_1100.MOV
    11.5 MB

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like brook to me. If so, you need to set up a QT with paraguard (USE GLOVES). Alternately, if a QT is an absolute impossibility, ruby reef rally pro is supposed to be reef safe (however, reef safe often means parasite safe) (USE GLOVES).

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the fish been acting off in any way?
Sometimes they will go lighter, but that does look a little raised/fuzzy so I’d agree that brook is likely.
Treat in a separate qt tank with formalin (ruby reef).

OP
OP
T

Tesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like brook to me. If so, you need to set up a QT with paraguard (USE GLOVES). Alternately, if a QT is an absolute impossibility, ruby reef rally pro is supposed to be reef safe (however, reef safe often means parasite safe) (USE GLOVES).
Safe for hermit and slugs?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safe for hermit and slugs?

Supposedly. The manufacturer claims it is. However, its hard for something to be reef safe and effective at the same time, which is why I question its effectiveness for their recommended dose. This is why QT is so important in this hobby, as preventing these is far easier than dealing with them. Keep in mind a qt setup doesn't need to be fancy. Just biosponges, bottled bacteria, heater, medicine, and some pump or filter to place the sponges in (as well as a filter pad if possible)

@vetteguy53081 has used it so he might have experience with it and hermits and what not.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dose used in a reef is safe for inverts. The problem is that said dose borders on ineffective for brook.
It is a lot safer to bring all fish into qt to be treated, while the dt sits fishless for 6 weeks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like early stage brookynella.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not know exactly what it is - based on these photos - but - since every sick clownfish is expected to have brooklynella - I'll go along with the rest - unfortunately Spare-time - I do not agree with your treatment - brooklynella (if thats what it is - needs a different treatment - like formaldehyde, copper - or ruby reef. You will need to put the fish in a separate tank - and while you are at it - perhaps the others as well - I'm not going to recommend a specific dose - there are plenty of protocols out there.

BUT - as described a couple times on R2R - to make an accurate diagnosis you need an accurate history - so please look at the link in my signature. And Hopefully this will give you some more answers to answer.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know exactly what it is - based on these photos - but - since every sick clownfish is expected to have brooklynella - I'll go along with the rest - unfortunately Spare-time - I do not agree with your treatment - brooklynella (if thats what it is - needs a different treatment - like formaldehyde, copper - or ruby reef. You will need to put the fish in a separate tank - and while you are at it - perhaps the others as well - I'm not going to recommend a specific dose - there are plenty of protocols out there.

BUT - as described a couple times on R2R - to make an accurate diagnosis you need an accurate history - so please look at the link in my signature. And Hopefully this will give you some more answers to answer.
Copper typically won’t help with brooklynella. A FW dip may buy some time. I prefer formalin, but as said, ruby reef has worked for some folks.
Jay

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use dt water but it isn’t really necessary.
Transporting some filter media from the dt can help to cycle it (giving you less problems during qt).

OP
OP
T

Tesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use dt water but it isn’t really necessary.
Transporting some filter media from the dt can help to cycle it (giving you less problems during qt).
I was gonna add the smaller rocks I want to replace in the dt

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin won’t bind with rocks. Be sure to supply really good aeration.
I’ve never used 30% formalin. The products I use are 100% formalin, which in turn is a solution of 37% formaldehyde gas in water. How does the label say to dose it?
Jay

OP
OP
T

Tesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin won’t bind with rocks. Be sure to supply really good aeration.
I’ve never used 30% formalin. The products I use are 100% formalin, which in turn is a solution of 37% formaldehyde gas in water. How does the label say to dose it?
Jay
Instruction only for pond use and koi

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instruction only for pond use and koi

Well, you will be on your own to some extent here, since I don't have a dose from the bottle to use.

Formalin is typically dosed from Brooklynella at 25 ppm. This works out to be 0.9 ml per ten gallons. That is for 100% formalin. If your product is truly just 30% formalin, then you would adjust the dose to 3 ml per ten gallons, but I cannot guarantee that is correct since I don't actually know what's in the product other than it says "30% formalin".

Jay

OP
OP
T

Tesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t started the treatment yet wondering if the fish has brooklynella or faded in colour due to stress of a new clownfish

OP
OP
T

Tesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Showing no signs of lack of energy or rubbing itself against anything in discomfort spends the day eating some sort of copepod all day doesn’t look like he’s eating less or less energetic.

I know the 2nd photo looks like something on him but I don’t think he has mucus on him, want to take more photos and post later.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back