Clownfish disease help, please.

ShariC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, R2R. I have a couple of clownfish that have something. Looks like ich at first glance but I also notice some ragged top fins which may indicate some type of bacterial infection.

Got my QT set up to pull all the fish from the tank into and have on hand: General Cure, MetroPlex, Furan-2, PraziPro, and Copper Power.

I'm going to do a freshwater dip on the female clown just to rule out flukes before putting them in QT.

Here's are a couple of videos:

Any help with diagnosis and suggestion on which medication would be helpful. Thank you!!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it does look like a couple "salt" spots on the Clown. I'd watch those spots and see if they disappear in a couple days and are replaced by other spots in other areas... if so, probably ich.

You can pull the fish and treat if it is ich, but sadly you've already introduced it to your tank already. Good chance the fish will get it again if you put them back into the tank after treatment... unless you go fallow for 76 days! So, you may have to live with it and manage it with good water quality and good food to build the fish's immune system.

A way around this is to quarantine your fish for a month or so before going into the main tank.

OP
OP
S

ShariC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I do QT my fish but this tank and fish were all purchased together from someone else. I've had for close to a year with nothing new introduced but realize things can show up even after long periods of time.

I've already pulled all the fish out into a QT in case I need to treat so we'll see how it goes. Just hoping to get a second opinion on course of treatment.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you’ve pulled the fish, I’d go ahead and run them through copper. You’ll still need to keep your display fishless for 45 to 76 days (shorter times are if your tank can handle 81 degrees).
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back