Clownfish disease?

qfen223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first reef tank! I’m pretty sure it’s cycled, it’s growing diatoms. I cycled with life Rock, live sand, fritzturbo start and two clownfish (Also two snails.) I got my first two fish from petco . The smaller fish died two days later, mucusy,not able to breathe, I’m assuming it was brook. The larger fish was fine. I got a new fish the next day. (No QT tank because it was a new setup. Well the fish have been fine for about a week. Well today the larger (older) fish wouldn’t eat. He started hovering above the bottom. I did notice a long stringy poop? But that’s gone now. He seems to be breathing hard. The little fish won’t leave the bigger one so now he kinda swims circles around the bigger one. (The little fish appears to be fine and still eating, other than some weird jerky motions). What should I do? I just topped off the tank. And turned off the lights because it seemed to calm him down a bit. I added maybe 5gal worth of fritz a few days ago (to help the tank cycle). The ph seems really high even tho it has been fine every other time Iv check it. (Bigger fish is on the bottom).

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pH appears low (7.8?), your have Nitrite, which to me says your tank isn't done cycling. Your salinity is also low.

Also, if your fish truly had a disease, why would you put more fish in the tank?? If something is in the tank, you've just given it to all the other fish. I'm not certain your fish was sick, or if it's the new tank that's the issue.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ph seems fine. It's the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite that points to your tank not being cycled yet.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ph seems fine. It's the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite that points to your tank not being cycled yet.
They're using an API test kit, so I wasn't sure about the ammonia. But if you have Nitrite, I assume you have to have ammonia as well.

OP
OP
qfen223

qfen223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ph seems fine. It's the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite that points to your tank not being cycled ye
Your ph seems fine. It's the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite that points to your tank not being
Your pH appears low (7.8?), your have Nitrite, which to me says your tank isn't done cycling. Your salinity is also low.

Also, if your fish truly had a disease, why would you put more fish in the tank?? If something is in the tank, you've just given it to all the other fish. I'm not certain your fish was sick, or if it's the new tank that's the issue.
I saw ph was low but I assume maybe it’s just the test because I’ve tested pretty frequently (nor changed the tank at all) so not sure how it could change? I wasn’t quiet sure, the fish seemed to have white stuff on it when I first got it so I assumed it was an Internet parasite of some type? I’m confused as to why the tank ISNT cycled? It’s had bottle bacteria (with fish as ammonia source) and then when I wasn’t sure if it was cycled or not I added some more (It’s safe to add in with livestock). If your right and it’s not cycled what do I do?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw ph was low but I assume maybe it’s just the test because I’ve tested pretty frequently (nor changed the tank at all) so not sure how it could change? I wasn’t quiet sure, the fish seemed to have white stuff on it when I first got it so I assumed it was an Internet parasite of some type? I’m confused as to why the tank ISNT cycled? It’s had bottle bacteria (with fish as ammonia source) and then when I wasn’t sure if it was cycled or not I added some more (It’s safe to add in with livestock). If your right and it’s not cycled what do I do?
With a low pH like that in a new tank, I always check for aeration. If you are having bubbles breaking the surface tension of the water, you can end up with high carbon dioxide and that in turn forms carbonic acid which can drop the pH.

Do you have another store other than Petco in your area? A full line aquarium store may have better quality fish.

Jay

OP
OP
qfen223

qfen223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a low pH like that in a new tank, I always check for aeration. If you are having bubbles breaking the surface tension of the water, you can end up with high carbon dioxide and that in turn forms carbonic acid which can drop the pH.

Do you have another store other than Petco in your area? A full line aquarium store may have better quality fish.

Jay
That’s actually the first Iv ever heard that thank you! I think one of my little nozzles maybe be doing that.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back