Clownfish Dying to Brooklynella

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now lost three clownfish over the course of about 4 months to what I’m almost positive was Brooklynella. I have a yellow watchman goby in the same tank that has been fine, though. Are they not effected by brook?

And what’s the best course of action now? I obviously don’t want to add another clown until I know this has been dealt with.

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Brooklynella can affect more than just clowns but it’s not as contagious as ich or velvet.
Know the warning signs firsthand when it occurs. Carefully inspect also before purchase and consider quarantine before placing any in display tank.
Signs
Mucus
Haziness to face and body
Refusing to eat
Lethargic
Listless
Rapid breathing

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella can affect more than just clowns but it’s not as contagious as ich or velvet.
Know the warning signs firsthand when it occurs. Carefully inspect also before purchase and consider quarantine before placing any in display tank.
Signs
Mucus
Haziness to face and body
Refusing to eat
Lethargic
Listless
Rapid breathing
Thanks a lot. Unfortunately, things moved quickly in all three cases, and none showed signs in the store.

So, if I were to go fallow, I’d obviously have to remove the YWG, correct? That’s gonna be a pain haha

And going fallow is pretty much the only course of action to take here, right?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks a lot. Unfortunately, things moved quickly in all three cases, and none showed signs in the store.

So, if I were to go fallow, I’d obviously have to remove the YWG, correct? That’s gonna be a pain haha

And going fallow is pretty much the only course of action to take here, right?
You can try ruby rally pro which works but takes longer and is reef safe. Do increase oxygen when treating with any medication

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appreciate it. I’d never heard of that.
Rally PRO (8 oz) - Ruby Reef

Rally by Ruby Reef - eliminates external parasites and pathogenic bacteria, which is safe for any freshwater or saltwater aquarium without harming your fish, corals, invertebrates or plants. This copper free, safe and successful Rally does not tamper with your biological filtration and is suitable to use together with Kick-Ich. Keep this bottle in room temperature for a long shelf life, so your fish can have long-term protection. Rally eliminates marine velvet, clownfish disease, bacterial fin, tail rot, fresh water gill flukes, dinoflagellates, flukes and more. Treat

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rally PRO (8 oz) - Ruby Reef

Rally by Ruby Reef - eliminates external parasites and pathogenic bacteria, which is safe for any freshwater or saltwater aquarium without harming your fish, corals, invertebrates or plants. This copper free, safe and successful Rally does not tamper with your biological filtration and is suitable to use together with Kick-Ich. Keep this bottle in room temperature for a long shelf life, so your fish can have long-term protection. Rally eliminates marine velvet, clownfish disease, bacterial fin, tail rot, fresh water gill flukes, dinoflagellates, flukes and more. Treat
Woah, they even advertise it as dealing with dinos? How is this not more popular?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, they even advertise it as dealing with dinos? How is this not more popular?
Well I believe velvet itself is a dinoflagellate organism, so this med wouldn’t just pertain to the algae. I’m sure it might help reduce it, though, but I doubt it would take care of it.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question, but would it make sense to dose Rally Pro without any infected fish in the tank? Just to neutralize it from the tank.

I only have that YWG in there, and he’s doing just fine.
If there ain’t any inverts, I don’t see a problem in completely treating the DT, maybe even using copper meds (although copper can be hard to remove from the rocks)

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there ain’t any inverts, I don’t see a problem in completely treating the DT, maybe even using copper meds (although copper can be hard to remove from the rocks)
Oh, shoot. I didn’t read the directions yet. It says no inverts?

Edit: Oh, wait. Ruby Rally Pro says it contains no copper.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This may be a stupid question, but would it make sense to dose Rally Pro without any infected fish in the tank? Just to neutralize it from the tank.

I only have that YWG in there, and he’s doing just fine.
Not with inverts and I am reluctant to dose anything with no existing conditions, as when a problem does arise, a sense of immunity will develop and you will have to exceed dose in some cases to offer effective treatment.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not with inverts and I am reluctant to dose anything with no existing conditions, as when a problem does arise, a sense of immunity will develop and you will have to exceed dose in some cases to offer effective treatment.
Interesting. The instructions say it is coral and invert safe.

So, you think I should get another clownfish, wait for it to, most likely, develop brook, and then treat?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you think I should get another clownfish, wait for it to, most likely, develop brook, and then treat?
Don’t add a fish if there is disease in the system. You need to probably QT all your fish and go fallow if you want to eliminate brook. Formalin baths are the best treatment.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t add a fish if there is disease in the system. You need to probably QT all your fish and go fallow if you want to eliminate brook. Formalin baths are the best treatment.
In an ideal world, that’s exactly what I’d do. But I’d have to tear the tank apart to get the YWG, and I don’t have a QT. Given that Rally Pro is reef safe, what reason is there not to treat the tank to eliminate any diseases? Seems like the sensible thing to do.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this seems… unlikely, but I had an LFS employee tell me to not put new fish in for a few weeks to clear up the brook. Even with the YWG in the tank…

Isn’t the YWG going to be a vector for the brook, keeping it going?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this seems… unlikely, but I had an LFS employee tell me to not put new fish in for a few weeks to clear up the brook. Even with the YWG in the tank…

Isn’t the YWG going to be a vector for the brook, keeping it going?
Unfortunately, it could be. A fallow period will never be 100% effective with that goby in there.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back