Clownfish fin rot ID possibly velvet?

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I have a clownfish and diamond goby in a 20g QT tank. 2 days since purchased. They’ve been getting light feeding and seem okay. The goby is shy and stays hidden behind PVC. The clown has some tissue degradation. Looks like skin peeling, on his tail, and fins.

I’ve started dosing Cupramine as instructed on the bottle. can anyone please tell me what parasite disease he could have so I can cure and save this poor guy as well as the goby. Thanks

12FD1559-E681-4412-83ED-2BAC35FB22DD.jpeg B656B1E6-735E-4B35-8D77-85AE48943390.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skin "peeling" or sloughing off can be a symptom of Brooklynella aka "Clownfish Disease." Copper will suppress it a bit but will not cure it.

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skin "peeling" or sloughing off can be a symptom of Brooklynella aka "Clownfish Disease." Copper will suppress it a bit but will not cure it.

thank you for the reply! I thought cupramine was good for all diseases. Is brooklynella able to spread to the goby as well? Any other tips you can share?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook can infect any fish. Here's a thread with good info on treating Brook. It can be a quick killer. Time is not your friend.

Giving the fish a freshwater dip can remove many of the parasites and will buy you time to decide/prepare for treatment. If done daily and the fish is placed into a fresh, clean tank each day you do the dip, in some cases the parasites have been completely removed. But most don't try this. See treatments below:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back