Clownfish gill damage or deformity?

vreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to see if I could consult with you all about a clownfish purchase I made recently (last Tuesday) at my local LFS.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until I got home and started the acclimation process, but it seems that one of the two little (about an inch) clownfishes I purchased had some gill damage or some sort of gill deformity (incomplete gill plate) where part of the red gill is exposed.

I've attached a couple of pictures (one in the tank, and one in the specimen container I used to drip acclimate). It is the orange/larger one.

The clownfish is eating normally and is active though sometimes aggressive to the smaller one (to probably establishing dominance - not sure how long that is supposed to last).

Does anyone know what exactly is going on with the clownfish? If it is gill damage, do you think it will heal? And if it is more of a deformity, do you think it will cause complications in the future?

I am fairly new to the hobby, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_4928 copy.jpg

IMG_4936 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gill issue sounds more parasitic #Reefsquad need some help from folks in the Disease and treatment forum here. New to the hobby reefer.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Could be parasitic or could be bullying from other fish at the store. If a fish got a good bite on him could account for the lack of gill covering.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like an injury —- perhaps it is infected, if red it may be infected you should have kanaplex, metroplex, and furan 2 on hand to treat. It looks like a bad injury. It could heal on its own but if it becomes more infected it could be fatal very quickly.

Welcome to R2R by the way!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a little inbred clownfish. His gill cover doesn't close and he has a little tiny fin on one side. If you discover this isn't an injury, don't give up. Ours is almost 2 years old. My son actually picked him because nobody else would want him.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with injury or deformity.

Redness of the Gill covers can be from ammonia exposure.

I would recommend a 90 minute bath in acriflavine (Ruby Reef Rally) or a 30 minute bath in methalyne blue ASAP.

Followed by Antibiotics if you don't see improvement on it's own as @4FordFamily mentioned.

OP
OP
vreef

vreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your feedback! Hoping for the best for the little one.

And thanks for the warm welcome. :)

OP
OP
vreef

vreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do?
So, my LFS where I bought it wanted me to bring it into the store for them to examine more closely (they were having a hard time opening up my pics for some reason). The clownfish was so hard to catch (haha), but I finally did and brought it in. They said it was a gill deformity common in aquacultured clowns. They suggested I swap it out just in case it caused complications in the future (they said it usually doesn't). So, I did and came home with another ocellaris orange (this time a misbar). I'm glad I did in a way because the first one (with the gill deformity) was definitely way more aggressive to my mocha than my current one. Both are going half a year strong with me (my profile pic).

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my LFS where I bought it wanted me to bring it into the store for them to examine more closely (they were having a hard time opening up my pics for some reason). The clownfish was so hard to catch (haha), but I finally did and brought it in. They said it was a gill deformity common in aquacultured clowns. They suggested I swap it out just in case it caused complications in the future (they said it usually doesn't). So, I did and came home with another ocellaris orange (this time a misbar). I'm glad I did in a way because the first one (with the gill deformity) was definitely way more aggressive to my mocha than my current one. Both are going half a year strong with me (my profile pic).

did the gill plate repair ?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back