Clownfish going after fire fish

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening. I just purchased a fire fish today and after i introduced him to the tank one of my clowns will not leave it alone constantly chases the fire fish around. any ideas on how to lessen this?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening. I just purchased a fire fish today and after i introduced him to the tank one of my clowns will not leave it alone constantly chases the fire fish around. any ideas on how to lessen this?
Size of the tank and type of clown? Might be able to put the clown into an acclimation box time out.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of the tank and type of clown? Might be able to put the clown into an acclimation box time out.
it’s a 32.5 gallon just a regular black clown. i put him in one for a couple hours and he’s back to doing it again. should i leave him in there for a few days?

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jpiotro Which fish was there first?

Clownfish are semi-agressive and should be one of the later additions to any tank. However, in your size it still should be possible if the clowns have a set area they prefer to stick to. Also, does the firefish have any places to hide? Any pictures of the tank by chance?

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jpiotro Which fish was there first?

Clownfish are semi-agressive and should be one of the later additions to any tank. However, in your size it still should be possible if the clowns have a set area they prefer to stick to. Also, does the firefish have any places to hide? Any pictures of the tank by chance?
the clownfish was there first, they usually like to stick to the left side of the tank where as the fire fish was all the way on the right and the clown came over and started harassing him. the fire fish seems to have found a spot to hide for now
93FC2E9A-948B-44C3-982D-77C037058BA4.jpeg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the firefish is still in one piece then the clown may just be showing him who is boss, it should calm down and get used to the firefish being there…tho it could never get used to it.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of one or the other. I've had the same situation. The clown will not forget he hates the firefish.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never done it but I have heard that it has worked many times. Place a mirror against the glass on the left side. Your clown will be so preoccupied with the new clown in it’s territory, your firefish will have time to settle in.

oceancowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use this trick when I added new angel fish to my large fish only tank. Put a mirror near the end the clown likes to hang out in. He will be distracted my the thought of another clown as he sees his reflection. This may allow he and the firefish to establish an equilibrium while he is distracted. Suggest do it for a couple of days.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Seems like the fire fish has found a hiding spot but every time he comes out the clownfish goes after him making the fire fish go into his hole and hide.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back