Clownfish going downhill

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I'm sorry to be asking the same question that I'm sure has been covered here many times. I did a quick search for similar posts, but my situation didn't seem to be covered.

Background: 90 gallon tank been up and running for about a month. I've been following the BRStv 5 minute guide for set up. Plenty of liferock and used Dr. Tim's to get things started. I added a few clowns just over a week ago and everything was fine. A few days ago the black clown started "slowing down" a bit and not he has been sitting on the bottom and not eating for a few days.

I tested the water yesterday and ammonia was like .3/.4 according to the Red Sea Marine Care test kit. So I did a 10% water change. Today Emo (that's what we named him) is still alive, but still sitting at the bottom and hasn't eaten in a few days. Tested again and ammonia is about .1 (the slightest tinge of green).

Someone suggest Seacham AmGuard, but I'm not sure. Should I use that? Do another water change? Dose Dr. Tim's again?

Emo is fighting, so I want to do what I can to save him.

Video for reference

Attachments

• IMG_0987.MOV
    53.4 MB

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed what the fish poo looks like? maybe internal parasite? When did this start? When you first noticed what were the signs you noticed first.

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed what the fish poo looks like? maybe internal parasite? When did this start? When you first noticed what were the signs you noticed first.
The poop was long, thin and whiteish... didn't look abnormal to me at all.. the first sign was lethargy. He was kinda hanging around in the middle of the tank and not swimming around much. Then he moved to the bottom. He definitely has more "spunk" relative to yesterday, but no real improvement

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see 4 powerheads but I don't see any of them pointed up at the surface for agitation? Possible lack of oxygen, although the other clown seems pretty hyperactive. Reduce ammonia, increase oxygenation.
Thanks. I pointed one of the powerheads up to get more flow. The orange clown is much more hyper for sure. he's been fine and eating like a little pig

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are irrelevant in salt tanks. It's nitrates that you want to see to assure your tank is cycling. Do 20% water change and add nitrifying bacteria. Wait 24 hours then test for ammonia and nitrates.

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are irrelevant in salt tanks. It's nitrates that you want to see to assure your tank is cycling. Do 20% water change and add nitrifying bacteria. Wait 24 hours then test for ammonia and nitrates.
I added Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria a few weeks ago. Think I should do it again?

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested Nitrate level and it's around 5 according to the not-so-easy-to-read red sea test kit

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacter7 will help increase your nitrogen cycle and in turn should help with the breakdown of ammonia. Maybe feed a little heavy during the bacter7 process just so nitrates dont bottom out. Weird that you still have amonia with a nitrate of 5. Your tank is def. Cycled but adding more beneficial bacteria wont hurt anything only help.

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacter7 will help increase your nitrogen cycle and in turn should help with the breakdown of ammonia. Maybe feed a little heavy during the bacter7 process just so nitrates dont bottom out. Weird that you still have amonia with a nitrate of 5. Your tank is def. Cycled but adding more beneficial bacteria wont hurt anything only help.
OK, you've sold me. I'll grab some bacter7 tomorrow. Just do standard weekly water changes during this process I assume, right?

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, you've sold me. I'll grab some bacter7 tomorrow. Just do standard weekly water changes during this process I assume, right?
Keep your normal routines after doing your water change add the bacter 7. Just so your not removing it from the system after adding it in does take time to settle and find its place sand rock etc. Introduce first thing in the morning or evening let it cycle through your tank woth uv and skimmer off for a few hours and go from there back to normal.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested Nitrate level and it's around 5 according to the not-so-easy-to-read red sea test kit
That's good, your basic cycle is going. Since you still show ammonia, do a water change and add some nitrifying bacteria. Make sure you have good surface agitation. Clowns are prone to disease so hopefully they were properly QT before going in your tank.

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: We lost the black clown the morning after my post. He hadn't eaten in several days so I don't know if it was lack of food or the water conditions that got him. The orange clown is still doing great. Very active with a good appetite. I'm going to hold tight for the time being and see where things go.

I've tested the water in the days since and they are:
Ammonia - 0 - .1 - the slightest tinge of green.
Nitrite - .2 - .3
Nitrate is right around 5
pH is 8.2 - 8.3

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back