Clownfish going into mouth of Carpet Anemone?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are clowns. Captive bred or not, they will have instincts. Some say that they do not take to nems as fast as captive bred, but I do not see that from my experience. Depends on the species of clown and nem to go with them.

OP
OP
Arvind Arya

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good news is that female has not gone in the mouth again since I took the video. She is very protective of all three and the other clowns get limited time in them

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is never a good thing. In some cases, particularly when percula and ocellaris do this to their host anemones, it's a sign that the anemone is sick and/or dying.

I don't think your anemone is sick, I think your clownfish is being overly aggressive--some of us like to call it "overloving" an anemone. As @OrionN pointed out, it can actually kill the anemone.

Furthermore, as @Eagle_Steve mentioned, the natural host anemone is H. magnifica, and A. nigripes will inherently treat their host anemone similarly, except that S. haddoni will never offer the same type of protection or comfort because they lack the long tentacles, and this may be why the clown insists on divebombing the mouth.

The haddoni will most likely succumb to injuries as there is no reason why the clownfish will stop doing what it's doing. My suggestion is to swap out the haddoni with a magnifica. Make sure that it's a larger one since this particular clownfish is obviously very rough on the anemone.

OP
OP
Arvind Arya

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is never a good thing. In some cases, particularly when percula and ocellaris do this to their host anemones, it's a sign that the anemone is sick and/or dying.

I don't think your anemone is sick, I think your clownfish is being overly aggressive--some of us like to call it "overloving" an anemone. As @OrionN pointed out, it can actually kill the anemone.

Furthermore, as @Eagle_Steve mentioned, the natural host anemone is H. magnifica, and A. nigripes will inherently treat their host anemone similarly, except that S. haddoni will never offer the same type of protection or comfort because they lack the long tentacles, and this may be why the clown insists on divebombing the mouth.

The haddoni will most likely succumb to injuries as there is no reason why the clownfish will stop doing what it's doing. My suggestion is to swap out the haddoni with a magnifica. Make sure that it's a larger one since this particular clownfish is obviously very rough on the anemone.
whats up Derrick!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back