Clownfish going into mouth of Carpet Anemone?

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have some Maldive Clownfish and the largest female, is going into the mouth of the carpets I have. At first I thought she was getting eaten, but then I noticed she is going in and coming out. This carpet cost me about 130 bucks. It seems fine...

Has anyone seen this before???

This female, is quite boisterous and rarely allows the other clowns to get into the other carpets. Its like its addicted x194893849384983 to the carpet nems.
I have noticed it has also gotten darker- a few shades since its been playing in the nems.

I have had the nems about a month- about the same time as the clowns...

Attachments

• IMG_0114 2.MOV
    12 MB

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My saddlebacks hung out in the mouth of the hadonnis I had. I mean at least two to three would actually go into it. Usually just the large female. She was in all the time.
Although interesting for sure, the hadonnis I had were suffering from too much of this. I had to remove the hadonnis and clowns for a tank change and the clowns got sick and died. I also lost two of the smaller hadonnis, but one is doing much better and is growing. Has no current clowns.
My clarkiis hide close and against the mouth of my malus, but not inside.
Clowns are weird.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only similar situation I had was a wild caught black A. polymnus pair that were very rough on my Haddoni. They did the same thing and ended up killing my larger green Haddoni. They then moved to my Blue Haddoni, but I took them out and gave them to the LFS. Research about this indicated that A. polymnus routinely do this thing so no more Polymnus for me.
I am not sure about your clown species. I recommend that you separate this Haddoni from this clown pair if you don’t want to stress him.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clarkii's did this at first, mostly when startled. They would hide themselves completely inside the mouth of my nems. This lasted a few weeks and then they stopped doing it. I haven't seen it happen in a month or more now. My Haddoni's didn't seem bothered by It, but it always made me nervous as my female clown is about 3". One of my haddoni has grown from ~8" to ~12" in just over a month. The other is nearly as big. I don't feed the nems either. Maybe the large size helped them cope with the clowns diving into the mouth?

OP
OP
Arvind Arya

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed all this today. I thought at first, It was getting eaten and its head was popping out! Can you imagine the shock seeing that! Just the head

OP
OP
Arvind Arya

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These clowns are Amhiprion Nigripes, Maldive clownfish or brownfeet clowns.
Not common.These were tank raised from sustainable aquatics. I wonder if these clowns even know what they are doing since they likely have never been near a carpet nem

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackfoots love nems. I had a pair for a long time and warmed to any nem they saw quickly. Sadly I lost them in a tank move. They were great.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only similar situation I had was a wild caught black A. polymnus pair that were very rough on my Haddoni. They did the same thing and ended up killing my larger green Haddoni. They then moved to my Blue Haddoni, but I took them out and gave them to the LFS. Research about this indicated that A. polymnus routinely do this thing so no more Polymnus for me.
I am not sure about your clown species. I recommend that you separate this Haddoni from this clown pair if you don’t want to stress him.
Exactly what @OrionN says. This is not good for the nem and I have lost 2 haddoni to Maldives. They are typically found in mag nems and without the long tentacles, the clowns will never feel safe and continue to beat the nem up.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, Ive witnessed my pair of black clowns running their face into the mouth of my mag and always wondered why they did that and if my mag was okay with it haha. Ive never witnessed them in the mouth but definitely looks like they are kissing it a lot. The mag seems okay and it isn’t a regular thing.

OP
OP
Arvind Arya

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e
Exactly what @OrionN says. This is not good for the nem and I have lost 2 haddoni to Maldives. They are typically found in mag nems and without the long tentacles, the clowns will never feel safe and continue to beat the nem up.
even if these are tank raised clowns?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back