Clownfish got sick and died within 8 hours

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new here and new to reef-keeping.

I got 2 tank raised clownfish on Thursday and they have been doing great, they have been eating and calmly exploring their tank. Last night I added a hammertip coral (first coral in the tank), which is also doing great and 2 hermit crabs + 2 nasarrius snails. Everything was fine, last night the clownfish were pigging out per usual, bright colouring, swimming around, and they were interested in the coral, I saw them nip at it a few times before I went to bed. Woke up this morning and one of them was very white on one side and its fin looked quite deteriorated, and it was swimming sideways, within 2 hours of me waking up it was dead. I tried to get a picture but it was tough on my camera.

Just tested and nitrite was a bit on the high side at 0.5, nitrates are 25, and ammonia is sitting at 0.

Any ideas of what happened?

EDITED TO ADD: My other clownfish is completely normal, bright colours, eating a lot, and swimming, it does have a nip in one fin and I just noticed the other one is clamped.
tempImageFLOq6X.png

Last edited:

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry to hear about your clown. It’s very unlikely the new inhabitants did any damage. Have you seen any fighting between your clowns? Any sign of disease?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new here and new to reef-keeping.

I got 2 tank raised clownfish on Thursday and they have been doing great, they have been eating and calmly exploring their tank. Last night I added a hammertip coral (first coral in the tank), which is also doing great and 2 hermit crabs + 2 nasarrius snails. Everything was fine, last night the clownfish were pigging out per usual, bright colouring, swimming around, and they were interested in the coral, I saw them nip at it a few times before I went to bed. Woke up this morning and one of them was very white on one side and its fin looked quite deteriorated, and it was swimming sideways, within 2 hours of me waking up it was dead. I tried to get a picture but it was tough on my camera.

Just tested and nitrite was a bit on the high side at 0.5, nitrates are 25, and ammonia is sitting at 0.

Any ideas of what happened?

tempImageFLOq6X.png

Is the remaining clownfish acting normal and eating?

This may have been aggression from the other clownfish.

Jay

OP
OP
banghair

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fuzzy white appearance or white spots?
The fin being chewed up makes me think aggression as well, which is very common with clowns.

Aggression is interesting, my other clownfish is noticeably smaller but has a nip out of its fin as well. Would my smaller clownfish be able to do that much damage?

OP
OP
banghair

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fuzzy white appearance or white spots?
The fin being chewed up makes me think aggression as well, which is very common with clowns.
Is the remaining clownfish acting normal and eating?

This may have been aggression from the other clownfish.

Jay
Yes, it is still very bright, swimming, and it ate a fair amount.

Someone else also suggested aggression but my other clownfish is noticeably smaller, it’s not a huge difference but you can definitely tell. Would it be able to do that much damage?

busfullofderps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They certainly can. When they are young, they will be more aggressive with each other as they are establishing which has dominance. In large groups this is generally fine as the aggression is shared equally, but with an unestablished pair they will bicker until one establishes dominance. The dominant one will sex to become the female in the pair, ultimately growing larger. Clowns are cute, but savage little bullies. The female will become ballsy enough to nip your hand while cleaning the inside of your tank. The stress of the new tank and the bullying could be the prime suspect in sending your clown to Valhalla.

Watch your nitrites, if your tank is new and they continue to climb you may be adding livestock faster than the bacteria can keep up with.

OP
OP
banghair

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They certainly can. When they are young, they will be more aggressive with each other as they are establishing which has dominance. In large groups this is generally fine as the aggression is shared equally, but with an unestablished pair they will bicker until one establishes dominance. The dominant one will sex to become the female in the pair, ultimately growing larger. Clowns are cute, but savage little bullies. The female will become ballsy enough to nip your hand while cleaning the inside of your tank. The stress of the new tank and the bullying could be the prime suspect in sending your clown to Valhalla.

Watch your nitrites, if your tank is new and they continue to climb you may be adding livestock faster than the bacteria can keep up with.
Good to know. Would it be a bad idea to add a new clownfish do you think?

Thank you, I will definitely watch my nitrites as per your advice!

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something similar happened to my clownfish. She was 8 years old, and one day she was covered in white film with torn fins (it wasn't brook as it didn't start on the head and my other clown didn't get it, there were no white spots either). She died in less than a day. I chalked it up to some sort of freak accident or something

OP
OP
banghair

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something similar happened to my clownfish. She was 8 years old, and one day she was covered in white film with torn fins (it wasn't brook as it didn't start on the head and my other clown didn't get it, there were no white spots either). She died in less than a day. I chalked it up to some sort of freak accident or something
That’s where I’m at. I watch them with hawkeyes because it’s my first tank and Om definitely overzealous with my pets, and there were no signs of any disease or stress, and all of this happened within hours so i’m having a hard time thinking it’s disease.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Was fish alive when introduced? Was it by chance pinched in corner of the bag ?
If alive , how were they acclimated/introduced and how long before release into tank ?

OP
OP
banghair

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was fish alive when introduced? Was it by chance pinched in corner of the bag ?
If alive , how were they acclimated/introduced and how long before release into tank ?
Yes, very alive haha. It was colourful and eating up until this morning. It was introduced through drip acclimation over an hour.

We’re going to set up a QT tank here soon as well.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes, very alive haha. It was colourful and eating up until this morning. It was introduced through drip acclimation over an hour.

We’re going to set up a QT tank here soon as well.
QT would be good and assure you equalize salinity. Hopefully you did not use bag water

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We check the salinity usually several times a day and it’s always good. And no bagged water!
I should clarify, Check salinity in the acclimation water and have it match that of tank

Back