Clownfish had a small on its side since we got it.

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
My wife and I ordered a pair of Gold Nugget Maroon Clownfish about eight months ago. We noticed a small hole in our male clownfish from day one. It's been about the same from day one. It looks as if a small circular portion of his outer layer of tissue has been removed. The company said to just wait and see how it goes over the phone. Waited and waited and nothing changed. I love all my fish and wasn't worried about the money let alone no explanation. I've done so many google searches and can never find anything that narrows it down to it's cause. This is a farm raised fish and I think it's something to do with some type of genetic disease. I'm curious to see if anyone has seen this in their experience! He eats well, is always swimming in his few Anemones constantly. I've noticed he hasn't grown as nearly as much as the female. She's grown quite a bit more than he has, the female has nearly doubled. I say that from what I've experienced in the past from having other clowns. They both show signs of their skin/coat slowly changing to their golden color, more so in the female than the male. Attached are the best pictures I could get with my phone and the blue lights. Please don't ask for water parameters because that's not needed as that's not the issue. Food diet is flakes once a day and a combo of mixed meaty food my local club put together during a food meat. The best of the best mixed and blended with RODI water which doesn't matter as he's always been like this and hasn't helped. I'm just stumped as to what this could be. I appreciate any and all info that can help with this. It's not ich (black or white), and not velvet for sure. I've researched clown fish disease and other diseases and I can't ever find a picture with what my male golden nugget has. I'd love to help this little guy out if there's a way. I never reached out because he's always been swimming fine from day one, no twitching or any other bizarre, erratic behavior. I think it's some type of a genetic tissue disease but it hasn't spread to the naked eye. I would love to be wrong and would love to help him out and get that hole healed!!
Thank You

20220102_201343.jpg 20220102_201334.jpg 20220102_201302.jpg 20220102_201259.jpg

majesticbigmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should be fine. There is a disease known as hole in head disease, but they don't seem to have that. If he has been like that since you have received him, and you notice no abnormal signs, I would take it as interesting genetic/marking which makes them unique. Infact, he looks more interesting. almost like a warrior. Females will always advance and grow much larger than the male, normal clownfish behaviour, no need to worry. Hope I didn't ramble on :)

OP
OP
Reefer825

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
should be fine. There is a disease known as hole in head disease, but they don't seem to have that. If he has been like that since you have received him, and you notice no abnormal signs, I would take it as interesting genetic/marking which makes them unique. Infact, he looks more interesting. almost like a warrior. Females will always advance and grow much larger than the male, normal clownfish behaviour, no need to worry. Hope I didn't ramble on :)
Thank you very much for the information you provided. My wife read my post and said no one is going to read all of that, lol. I explained to my wife I did that to prevent unwanted/certain response that weren't warranted. Score one for Hubby, hehe even though it's not warranted. Thank again for your response. I pray he keeps doing well. I wish I could ink half of his face and call him Braveheart!!
Thank You Friend!

majesticbigmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries at all, if he did have a problem he would have most likely died before reaching you. He should live a long thriving life. All of luck to you, you never know he could be Hercules.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back