Clownfish has a single white spot. bite mark or bacterial infection?

reefers4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am new to saltwater & reef aquariums and I just got a clownfish recently and got a damsel along with it. The damsel has been aggressive towards the clownfish so I separated him. I released him from my quarantine tank about a week later. A few days ago I saw some white spot on my clownfishes body and I am not sure like what it is or wheather it is a bite mark or some bacterial infection. Anyone knows? Thanks!

IMG_4755.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry - I missed your post yesterday.

Overall, your clownfish looks really good - body condition is great, fins are held erect. I presume it is eating well and not breathing fast?

Any fish that hasn't been fully quarantined is at greater risk for developing disease in your tank, but based on this fish's history, I would say this is just a minor injury from the damsel and will heal on its own with no intervention.

Things to watch for are: lack of appetite, rapid breathing, white mucus on skin or tiny salt-sized white spots on body and fins.

Jay

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am new to saltwater & reef aquariums and I just got a clownfish recently and got a damsel along with it. The damsel has been aggressive towards the clownfish so I separated him. I released him from my quarantine tank about a week later. A few days ago I saw some white spot on my clownfishes body and I am not sure like what it is or wheather it is a bite mark or some bacterial infection. Anyone knows? Thanks!

IMG_4755.jpg
is the tank new? If it is you cant add anemones yet ( i see one in the backround)

OP
OP
R

reefers4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry - I missed your post yesterday.

Overall, your clownfish looks really good - body condition is great, fins are held erect. I presume it is eating well and not breathing fast?

Any fish that hasn't been fully quarantined is at greater risk for developing disease in your tank, but based on this fish's history, I would say this is just a minor injury from the damsel and will heal on its own with no intervention.

Things to watch for are: lack of appetite, rapid breathing, white mucus on skin or tiny salt-sized white spots on body and fins.

Jay
Thanks Jay! Yep, it is eating well and not really breathing that hard. Actually, the white spot just came out just now and it is doing fine now. Thx for the info!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back