Clownfish has cloudy eyes?

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first clownfish about 2-3 weeks ago and I currently have her in QT treating with copper for ich. I noticed today that her eyes look cloudy and I’m new to this so I have no clue what’s wrong, she’s hiding behind the HOB filter too. Any help is appreciated, thank you so much.

C37BBD44-676F-4812-B873-3B2434C99958.jpeg 8863A613-DD1E-42BE-9DDB-20B2BC5B1137.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought my first clownfish about 2-3 weeks ago and I currently have her in QT treating with copper for ich. I noticed today that her eyes look cloudy and I’m new to this so I have no clue what’s wrong, she’s hiding behind the HOB filter too. Any help is appreciated, thank you so much.

C37BBD44-676F-4812-B873-3B2434C99958.jpeg 8863A613-DD1E-42BE-9DDB-20B2BC5B1137.jpeg
This can be ammonia burn from water quality issues or a bacterial issue which has developed
Treatment would be either Maracyn 2 or seachem neoplex for at least 5 days but Im also not keen on mixing medications

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be ammonia burn from water quality issues or a bacterial issue which has developed
Treatment would be either Maracyn 2 or seachem neoplex for at least 5 days but Im also not keen on mixing medications
I wouldn’t think ammonia burn as I did a 80% water change yesterday to dose new copper (different brand) thank you so much

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been treating ich with copper for about two weeks and they are no longer symptomatic, I could remove the copper from the tank and treat with the neoplex, then resptart the copper treatments afterwards if you think that would be okay?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wouldn’t think ammonia burn as I did a 80% water change yesterday to dose new copper (different brand) thank you so much
Can be from previous water as copper has slight impact on bacteria. What copper product are you using and are you monitoring copper level?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The pictures aren't super clear, but I'm worried because both eyes are involved. If it was just one eye, I would say it is due to a minor injury. Also, with just one eye involved, the fish can still see food. Is this fish still eating? Can you post a short video of it? Copper won't help this, but it also isn't the cause for it.

Jay

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures aren't super clear, but I'm worried because both eyes are involved. If it was just one eye, I would say it is due to a minor injury. Also, with just one eye involved, the fish can still see food. Is this fish still eating? Can you post a short video of it? Copper won't help this, but it also isn't the cause for it.

Jay
Yes she is still eating and her appetite seems normal. Here’s a video. LFS recommended a freshwater dip. But waiting to hear some more opinions first.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    21 MB

MamaMolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RO water? did you confirm TDS is zero and what’s the salinity Level?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes she is still eating and her appetite seems normal. Here’s a video. LFS recommended a freshwater dip. But waiting to hear some more opinions first.

You could try a FW dip, but that only helps identify flukes, and clownfish aren't really prone to Neobenedenia flukes (the ones that cause cloudy eyes) and then, if it was that, you would see cloudy eyes on other fish as well.

My fear is that this is a bacterial infection and if it clouds the eyes enough, the fish will not be able to see its food. Many times, fish are able to fight off minor bacterial infections, but not always. Then you need to dose with an antibiotic in a treatment tank. One possible medication would be Maracyn 1, Erythromycin.

Jay

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a FW dip, but that only helps identify flukes, and clownfish aren't really prone to Neobenedenia flukes (the ones that cause cloudy eyes) and then, if it was that, you would see cloudy eyes on other fish as well.

My fear is that this is a bacterial infection and if it clouds the eyes enough, the fish will not be able to see its food. Many times, fish are able to fight off minor bacterial infections, but not always. Then you need to dose with an antibiotic in a treatment tank. One possible medication would be Maracyn 1, Erythromycin.

Jay
Was able to get Maracyn today and will treat her when I get home, should I transfer her to another tank and pause her copper treatments in the mean time?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to get Maracyn today and will treat her when I get home, should I transfer her to another tank and pause her copper treatments in the mean time?
The fish haven’t been in copper for a full treatment. I guess I would remove half the copper with a water change, dose the Maracyn and then after that treatment, bring the copper back up for another two weeks.
In some cases, Maracyn harms beneficial bacteria, so test the tank for ammonia daily.
Jay

OP
OP
Salamander-Hime

Salamander-Hime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news guys, her eyes are just getting worse and now they almost appear to be popping out.
the also got stuck to the filter intake while I was at work and upon closer investigation her fins seem a bit tattered.
today she is just laying on her side on the bottom of the tank gasping. I have restarted a second course of maracyn but is there anything else I can do to help her? Thanks.
Additionally I had to remove the airstone from the QT tank as it was creating many micro bubbles with the maracyn on the top of the tank and I believe making of difficult for the fish to get oxygen.

Attachments

• 0CAD1AC0-70F0-4A8E-85D8-3FF0F8ED14F0.jpeg
    0CAD1AC0-70F0-4A8E-85D8-3FF0F8ED14F0.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 20

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back