Clownfish has ich and I can’t catch him

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish has little white spots on him that I’m almost positive is ich. Problem is I can’t catch him to treat it. So far he is active and eating fine, and the other fish are unaffected. How am I going to get him out of the tank? It’s only a 40g, but the net scared him and I don’t want to stress him out. Would a freshwater dip do the trick if he’s in good shape otherwise? What is the best treatment for my little guy Jack? I just lost a fairy wrasse and didn’t realize it at first, so maybe there was a small ammonia spike that stressed him out. The fairy wrasse might have had ich. I’ve never set up a hospital/QT tank before but I have an old 12g biocube I could use. Any help would be appreciated!!
image.jpg
Can you try for another picture and a short video? I’m not seeing ich, it is too localized and the spots are two large and misshapen.
How long has it had these spots?
Jay

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you try for another picture and a short video? I’m not seeing ich, it is too localized and the spots are two large and misshapen.
How long has it had these spots?
Jay
I‘ll post a video as soon as I can lure him out. I’ve only seen the spots for a day but the day before he was hiding in the rocks so they might be a few days old.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘ll post a video as soon as I can lure him out. I’ve only seen the spots for a day but the day before he was hiding in the rocks so they might be a few days old.
O.K., just an FYI - I'm heading down to my boat for the weekend, I can't view videos there unless linked to You Tube.

If the spots are in the same location and the same number for more than 36 hours, they are most likely not ich. If the spots come and go, and show up in different locations each time, it is more likely ich.

Jay

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the spots are totally gone this morning. He looks absolutely fine. I’ll take more video when the tank lights come on.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the spots are totally gone this morning. He looks absolutely fine. I’ll take more video when the tank lights come on. I tried to post a video but I don’t think it worked

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the spots are totally gone this morning. He looks absolutely fine. I’ll take more video when the tank lights come on.

O.K., I'm going to toss another idea out there - the first picture, the spots are large and not round like ich. What about the idea that this is sand stuck to the fish's mucus? That would explain the localized occurrence as well as the spots going away,

Jay

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., I'm going to toss another idea out there - the first picture, the spots are large and not round like ich. What about the idea that this is sand stuck to the fish's mucus? That would explain the localized occurrence as well as the spots going away,

Jay
I was just thinking the same thing. He was down in the sand yesterday. He’s eating and swimming normally. That would be such a relief!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My I suggest to treat the system with Seacheme's metroplex, Kanoplex, vitamin C and focus to bind the meds to frozen food. Feed for 14 days. This will treat the whole system. I have done this in the past with great success.

I have found that Ich is from stress. The meds and vitamin C treat the parasites and the vitamin C helps with the stress.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My I suggest to treat the system with Seacheme's metroplex, Kanoplex, vitamin C and focus to bind the meds to frozen food. Feed for 14 days. This will treat the whole system. I have done this in the past with great success.

I have found that Ich is from stress. The meds and vitamin C treat the parasites and the vitamin C helps with the stress.
So if it’s ich I could treat the DT?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking the same thing. He was down in the sand yesterday. He’s eating and swimming normally. That would be such a relief!
Just keep a close eye on it. Strange things can happen - for example, perhaps the sand is getting caught in the skin mucus because there is extra mucus due to a disease?

Jay

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep a close eye on it. Strange things can happen - for example, perhaps the sand is getting caught in the skin mucus because there is extra mucus due to a disease?

Jay
I will. Thanks so much for your help!!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it’s ich I could treat the DT?
Since the the Clownfish is in the system and the system has been exposed, You would treating the whole system instead of one fish. Treat the DT :)

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s still spot free! I think it was sand. Thanks so much everyone for your help!!!

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, does Polyp Lab Medic work? I read that it can be used in the DT. I’m also wondering if it’s time to get a UV sterilizer.
If you can't take them out get UV and feed the crap out of them fresh chopped Raw clam use selcon and just keep them fed and healthy

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no one mentioned it yet, “low tide” method. Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and get 8 buckets (or 1 large Brute trash can). Drain your 40 gallon tank, grab the Clown, refill. :)

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first question:

If the tank is 4 years old, there must have been a recent addition to the display tank that transported the disease in with it. Have you added anything to the tank in the last 4 weeks?

I've only had to deal with ICH once (by the way, I don't think this is ICH). Fresh water dips and HYPO salinity was all it took.

But the fish in question was in a QT, so it was easy to do. You'll definitely have to get that guy out of the DT if you want to go with hypo salinity. Corals don't do well with it.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually he’s totally fine now. I think it was just sand in his slime coat. He’s eating and swimming normally. I’m keeping a very close eye on him but so far so good!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back