Clownfish has white blemishes all over and isn't active and is breathing heavily

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so 6 weeks ago I saw a spot on the male clownfish, so I put both clowns in a qt tank and I treated them with paraguard for 4 weeks and prazipro for 2 weeks because i suspected internal parasites in the male also because of the white poops he had. Last week I put them both in the display tank again, but yesterday I noticed something off with the male clown again, he had white blemishes all over him. And this morning I found him sitting on the sand bed breathing very heavily. When the female attacked him it took him 8 seconds to finally swim away. I need help as to what to do ASAP!

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pictures?

IMG_2691.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looks like she beat him up pretty bad,,if no signs of illness,acclimation box for her,,best wishes

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish seems to have been in a battle with a tankmate and highly stressed. It also has a white film on body implying start of Brooklynella.
Added oxygen is needed, A Freshwater bath would help but right now fish is obviously stressed.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By your description I would suspect ICK, and also getting beat up.

But the picture shows his fins look tattered, and maybe byte marks. So I would gather she is out to kill him.
Nothing you can do but seperate them.
Once the female turns on the male it is over.

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so 6 weeks ago I saw a spot on the male clownfish, so I put both clowns in a qt tank and I treated them with paraguard for 4 weeks and prazipro for 2 weeks because i suspected internal parasites in the male also because of the white poops he had. Last week I put them both in the display tank again, but yesterday I noticed something off with the male clown again, he had white blemishes all over him. And this morning I found him sitting on the sand bed breathing very heavily. When the female attacked him it took him 8 seconds to finally swim away. I need help as to what to do ASAP!
How long have the two been together in the tank ? Were they added same time ?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
get him extra oxygen asap sm bucket w tank water heavy o2 air or heavy topwater movement ,sound like had in qt for 6 weeks not thinking disease ..stress

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to get him away and scoop him in a Tupperware or something temporarily so you could run to the store for a acclimation box

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i am sorry to hear:(

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know snails did that...
Snails will only eat dead or almost dead fish. Once their on something it's probably too late anyway.. sry for your loss I know how hard it sucks when you spend time and money putting them through qt etc for them to just not make it. I didn't see any pics of the female but if/when you try to pair again I'd make sure there's a large size difference. My female occy was very hard to pair, she killed two prospective males and bullied two more untill I swapped them for the next potential at the lfs. Eventually she took to one of the tiny fish I offered but some of them are just harder to pair than others. Best of luck!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back