clownfish have Brooklynella - advice on what i did?

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm currently working 50-60hr weeks, with 10-20hrs OT, so my Ocellaris may have had it for a longer period of time. Last night I noticed they were sliming (I have 2) especially at the fins - after googling a bit i diagnosed it as Brooklynella.

I started filling a bucket with fresh water & got my air pump (I always have 1 extra on hand just in case) and a heater in it and got it up to temperature.

After catching the bigger one of the two & being unable to catch the second I did a 5minute dip, and this morning she was looking much better.

I decided to give catching the other one another go and dipped him for 5 minutes aswell.

I've done a lot of research (frequently scrolling through the Emergency-forum - just so i know what other people give for advice) I'm unable to put them in a QT tank so I put them back in my DT tank where 2 other fish are - they however are not showing any signs of distress and are looking nice and fat. (1 is a firefish & the other is a damsel)

I've added a airstone to counter-act the heavy breathing.

What else can I do to increase their survival %?

Last edited:
OP
OP
NewGoby

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When going the formaline route, what do you use to protect your nostrils / mouth?
According to a couple of websites it gives an increased risk of cancer, as seen in rats / mice

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When going the formaline route, what do you use to protect your nostrils / mouth?
According to a couple of websites it gives an increased risk of cancer, as seen in rats / mice
I have never used that product, so I can't help answer that question. Somebody will chime in soon though. I do have the reef rally on hand for the Acriflavine route, but again never experienced Brook or had a need to use it....yet.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do this fromHF post #36.

Until I can do more experimentation, I highly recommend a 1-2 punch in order to defeat brook:
  1. Give the fish a FW dip or acriflavine bath or formalin bath to knock most of the parasites off.
  2. Transfer the fish into a new/sterile quarantine tank (to prevent reinfection), and treat with metro or Chloroquine phosphate for 30 days to finish the job. “

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used that product, so I can't help answer that question. Somebody will chime in soon though. I do have the reef rally on hand for the Acriflavine route, but again never experienced Brook or had a need to use it....yet.
Reef rally is a good source of acroflavine.

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive talked to @Humblefish quite a lot about it and he allways recommended kanaplex/metroplex as far as i remember. Check out the fish disease forum for more!

If it is brook, all fish in the tank are infected and will eventually die! Get a quarantine tank up and running to treat ALL fish, even the healthy looking ones.

For the clowns freshwater dips can give tomparary relief.

To get rid of the parasite you will have to go fallow(fishless) for 6 weeks so all parasites in your dt die off with no host for them to live off.

Good luck!

MarinaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define “longer period of time”. Brook usually kills clowns in 3 days.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very difficult to find Formalin at the 24% strength recommended in Humblefish's treatment advisory for Brook. This product does have Formalin at about half the strength 12 % and is much less hazardous to use.

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 8.10.48 AM.png

OP
OP
NewGoby

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I'm searching for formaline asap now, the fish seem to be (slowly) getting better (?) the white is significantly less than it was yesterday & the day before, they're eating well and breathing normally

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get rid of it you need to run your tank for 6 weeks without fish.

I used chloroquine phosphate to treat all fish in a separate tank during that period.

MarinaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt your fish has brook. Could it be that they were trying to host in something unusual? Zoas, torch, etc?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I'm searching for formaline asap now, the fish seem to be (slowly) getting better (?) the white is significantly less than it was yesterday & the day before, they're eating well and breathing normally
Another med: Quick Ich X by Hikari has the 24% formalin. Just look closely at the label for the “Quick Ich X” as there are several similar sounding names out there.

OP
OP
NewGoby

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a minor update:
I've had a hard time finding formaline, and decided another route was necessary.

I got a air pump hooked it up to the aquarium & turned it half way up, and bound the stone to my circulation pump to create micro bubbles.

Skip 11-12 days ahead & here we are.

Signs of Brooklynella are still present, the search for formaline continues & the fish are looking better each day.

I've decided to also reduce lighting times down from 11-12hrs a day - to 9-10hrs a day to decrease stress.
I'm currently selling my freshwater equipment (I have someone coming over in 2 days) and I'll be setting up a quarantine tank, if I don't find formaline before then I'll drive down to another part of the country to buy some.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back