tylerczubachowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well! Before we start my levels in the reef tank are:
PH: 7.9 (yes I know it’s a little low currently in a process of raising)
Ammoni: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 11
Salinity: 1.022 (currently in the process of Raising to about 1.023)
Phosphate: .1
Calcium: 445
Magnesium: 1178
Alkalinity: 8.3
Gallons:

also: today I put a new lab grown coral in (dipped it) as well as added an emerald crab to the tank.

My clownfish who has been with me since I started the tank (5 months now) has been acting weird within the last couple hours. I attached a video to show y’all what it looks like. She has Been rapidly breathing for no apparent reason about an hour after I put the new coral and crab into the tank. I do not want to do a dip unless it’s necessary. The last time she ate was yesterday only because I fast them all on a Sunday. When I tried giving food she wanted to eat but just watched it. Anyone else have this issue and if so, how did they handle it. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4132.MOV
    8.4 MB

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems healthy enough to me from the video, the only concerning thing is her not eating but tbh I don't know much and am also just starting. For now I would just closely monitor and see if things start to get worse.

Anyways here's a bump so hopefully someone with a better idea sees it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well! Before we start my levels in the reef tank are:
PH: 7.9 (yes I know it’s a little low currently in a process of raising)
Ammoni: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 11
Salinity: 1.022 (currently in the process of Raising to about 1.023)
Phosphate: .1
Calcium: 445
Magnesium: 1178
Alkalinity: 8.3
Gallons:

also: today I put a new lab grown coral in (dipped it) as well as added an emerald crab to the tank.

My clownfish who has been with me since I started the tank (5 months now) has been acting weird within the last couple hours. I attached a video to show y’all what it looks like. She has Been rapidly breathing for no apparent reason about an hour after I put the new coral and crab into the tank. I do not want to do a dip unless it’s necessary. The last time she ate was yesterday only because I fast them all on a Sunday. When I tried giving food she wanted to eat but just watched it. Anyone else have this issue and if so, how did they handle it. Thanks!
It’s breathing a bit fast and it’s fins are clamped. I saw another clown for a brief instant. What other fish are in there and how do they look?

Jay

OP
OP
T

tylerczubachowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s breathing a bit fast and it’s fins are clamped. I saw another clown for a brief instant. What other fish are in there and how do they look?

Jay
I have another o. clownfish (male), royal gramma, and goby and they all are fine. They look very healthy and were going after the food i put in.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another o. clownfish (male), royal gramma, and goby and they all are fine. They look very healthy and were going after the food i put in.
I’m not sure how the addition of the coral and crab would just affect the one clown…may just be coincidental.
My concern is that what you are seeing is something that MAY spread to the other fish. However, there really aren’t any treatable symptoms here. I would just watch and see how things develop tomorrow. Do you have an isolation tank you can use if need be?
Jay

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes those common dips have essential oils. Very toxic to aquatic life. Definitely rinse off. This could solely be the problem. Especially seems so because you had fish for 5 months no problems. Then added this coral.

OP
OP
T

tylerczubachowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how the addition of the coral and crab would just affect the one clown…may just be coincidental.
My concern is that what you are seeing is something that MAY spread to the other fish. However, there really aren’t any treatable symptoms here. I would just watch and see how things develop tomorrow. Do you have an isolation tank you can use if need be?
Jay
Will keep an eye on it thank you.

OP
OP
T

tylerczubachowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes those common dips have essential oils. Very toxic to aquatic life. Definitely rinse off. This could solely be the problem. Especially seems so because you had fish for 5 months no problems. Then added this coral.
will it kill the fish? shes starting to look a little better. I gave her food and shes eating again so it couldve been temporary maybe? as i responded to jay, will keep an eye on her behavior.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Imagine some it could. Variable by species of course. It might not kill, but will definitely have effects. The inverts though would be likely more affected by it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Imagine some it could. Variable by species of course. It might not kill, but will definitely have effects. The inverts though would be likely more affected by it.
That’s my thought - if it was an issue with the dip, I’d think it would affect the inverts and also the other clownfish. I’m worried about disease potential as that is something that typically starts with one fish and spreads from there.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nitrate getting high, salinity low (at near hyposalinity) and if any coral- Mag is low (should be 1300)

SALINITY 1.025
Ph 8.1-8.3
temp 77-79
alk 8-11
CA 440
Nitrate < .5

WHAT TEST KITS ARE YOU USING ?

OP
OP
T

tylerczubachowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate getting high, salinity low (at near hyposalinity) and if any coral- Mag is low (should be 1300)

SALINITY 1.025
Ph 8.1-8.3
temp 77-79
alk 8-11
CA 440
Nitrate < .5

WHAT TEST KITS ARE YOU USING ?
this was from my LFS. I use the test kit with the tubes, as well as a alk, ph, and digital salinity checker

OP
OP
T

tylerczubachowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my thought - if it was an issue with the dip, I’d think it would affect the inverts and also the other clownfish. I’m worried about disease potential as that is something that typically starts with one fish and spreads from there.
Jay
So today when I woke up, there was little to no breathing heavy, as if the breathing was returning to normal with a closed mouth. I fed them Mysis and pellets today (pellets are her favorite) and she ate like an absolute pig. She was in the corner yesterday but today she is swimming around like nothing happened hunting for food. I also noticed she was spazzing out with the male clownfish which is also a good sign, asserting her dominance over the male, and the male accepting it and spazzing back. I did a five gallon water change because my tank was due for one since its been two weeks, so hopefully that will help. Seems to be doing well now so if i had to guess, it mightve been a sideffect from the coral dip. im going to continue to monitor her but she seems fine now. Im sure if it was something serious it wouldve progressed overnight as well as her not eating. Thank you for the help and I will post on here if something happens to update you guys :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
this was from my LFS. I use the test kit with the tubes, as well as a alk, ph, and digital salinity checker
The kit with the tubes likely API
Be careful of false readings they produce

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back