Clownfish Help

Kissy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm new to the forum but I'm in dire need of either help or peace of mind.
We've had a Nemo (which I recently found out it was a Nema ;)) for almost 15 years. It survived moving from Miami, to Tennessee, to now S. Carolina. We did some researching and decided to introduce a tiny clownfish bred in captivity that came from a tank full of tank raised perculas to try and get a male. Not looking to pair them, just looking to give our original one a companion.
The first day there was some aggression, then there was some submission rituals (turning sideways, shaking the tails, etc) and they were both eating fine and swimming all over the tank. This happened last Tuesday, July 24th, so it hasn't been a week yet.
Since this weekend I've noticed my original Nemo has started breathing fast and seems to be hiding from the little one. I don't know if she's stressed or simply doesn't like the little one. She has also decreased intake of food, which it is not like her to not eat everything that falls into the tank.
So any help is greatly appreciated. As of this moment, I'm looking into buying a tank divider to separate the two and see if that helps by giving her space back.
I will add another post with pictures and a video.
Thank you all for your help!
;Shamefullyembarrased;Shamefullyembarrased;Shamefullyembarrased

OP
OP
Kissy

Kissy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

77C71216-B000-4A89-A345-5FED8807AA53.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kissy

Kissy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Humblefish,

The baby clown was not quarantined. It didn't show any signs of being sick and was kept in the bag that it came in for half a day floating in the tank while being watched.
I do not see any signs of skin peeling though, but I was worried the cleaning crew that came with the clown delivery could have brought a bacteria with them.
What should I do?

Thank you for replying!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Humblefish,

The baby clown was not quarantined. It didn't show any signs of being sick and was kept in the bag that it came in for half a day floating in the tank while being watched.
I do not see any signs of skin peeling though, but I was worried the cleaning crew that came with the clown delivery could have brought a bacteria with them.
What should I do?

Thank you for replying!

The rapid breathing means something is negatively impacting her gills. Is this a nonstop thing?

OP
OP
Kissy

Kissy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On and off. I think after I turn off the lights for a while she stops. I'm still decided to go get a tank divider from Petsmart as soon as I finish work. The little one is too hyper and I believe she's just not enjoying him.
I mean, she has been on her own for almost 15 years. In the same 55 gallons tank all to herself for the past 10 years. I'm hoping she's just stressed and doesn't have any disease.
Regardless, this morning I did a 5 gal water change in the tank, and added fresh water. I read somewhere that fresh water dips are good to fight the Brook if that's what it is. So I'm going to try that before I add more stress to her by moving her to the 10 gal tank to treat her with the Formalin.

OP
OP
Kissy

Kissy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go again!
They’re both stuck in one side of the tank and she’s behaving weird again.
Grrrrrr!
Is this mating behavior?!
They’re both driving me insane!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back