Clownfish help

Phowingt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 clownfish a week ago after cycling my 20g tank. After the first 2 days of getting used to new tank they were both very active and love feeding time. They didn’t seem to ever want to get out of the higher flow areas in the tank so I added 2 of the very small clay pots and as soon as I put it in the tank the smaller clown swam into it and laid down in the sand and wouldn’t even come out to eat. I wasn’t worried about it at first but he did this all day and didn’t come out until the slightly larger clown swam into the pot (I’m assuming is the female but they are both about 1” max) and the male swam out then did the same thing in a hole in a rock and then I saw him this morning laying on the sand between 2 other rocks. Forgot to mention that I tested my water once I noticed this and my parameters were:
Ammonia- 0 ,nitrate- 15 ,salinity- 1.025
Then did a water change.
I also want to note that I haven’t seen any spots like ich or patches on him and when he does get up to swim to a different spot he seems healthy and his colors are still good.

also wanted to say that the larger of the two (the extremely active one) has developed what looks like a scratch on her eye and I say scratch not Pop eye because it isn’t swollen and it isn’t the whole eye, it is like one spot. Also she acts like she is hosting the pot because I thought about removing it and she did not think that was a good idea bc she got mad when I touched either of the pots.......

I just got home and found him stuck to the filter like this, his stomach didn’t look like this can anyone tell me what could have happened?

C0F2BA4B-2627-459F-B235-5FB675729179.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most concerning thing was that you said they swam into the flow constantly. This can be a unique sign of a parasite like velvet.

A fish that is stuck the the power head is in huge trouble. They do this to allow more water to pass through their gills in order to get more oxygen. Typically a fish stuck to a power head has enough gill damage (likely from a parasite affliction) that it’s irreparable. Could also see the same thing from ammonia damage to the gills but your test didn’t show ammonia and you had nitrate present which means you have a working biofilter. So I lean towards a parasite affliction. Clowns won’t usually show white spots from ich and velvet due to their thick mucus layer.

OP
OP
Phowingt

Phowingt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I said he was stuck to the power head I meant that he was dead. What should I do with the other clown?

OP
OP
Phowingt

Phowingt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most concerning thing was that you said they swam into the flow constantly. This can be a unique sign of a parasite like velvet.

Sorry I probably shouldn’t have worded it that way, I meant that he was swimming around out in the open and occasionally playing in the higher flow areas. Not enough that it was concerning i just said that because I’m confused because he seemed strong and healthy until he wouldn’t eat 2 days ago.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weaken fish unable to swim well and get suck into the PH and die. This a common way for fish to die.
All this just mean that you fish, at least the smaller fish is, are not doing well.
Can mean that you fish was not healthy to begin with or your tank not ready for fish yet.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you cycle the tank? How did you acclimate your clowns to your tank? What are your tank params (besides what you mentioned) Ph, & temp? Do you use RODI water?

OP
OP
Phowingt

Phowingt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you cycle the tank? How did you acclimate your clowns to your tank? What are your tank params (besides what you mentioned) Ph, & temp? Do you use RODI water?

Cycle: 1 month
I drip acclimated them for 30min-1 hour since they were only in a bag for an hour.
Ph: 8.2
Temp: 78
Yes I use RODI water

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back