Clownfish help

e&lPeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last week, we have lost most of the fish in our tank. We had, three clowns (two snowflake and one white that we’ve had a hard time identifying), a coral beauty angelfish, a saddle Valentino puffer, and an orange dot goby. We do have a few snails, 2 camel shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp and some hermit crabs. The coral beauty was the last fish we added about one month ago. The other day we added a pistol shrimp that instantly paired with our goby. The morning after we added the shrimp, our coral beauty was dead. She had no symptoms/irregular behavior. The same day, our clowns looked like they had Brook and we FW dipped. The next morning, one snowflake clown was dead. The morning after that, the other snowflake was dead. Now my beloved white clown is staying towards the bottom in the same area all day and won’t eat. Which is entirely not like Tippy. Our puffer and goby do not seem to be infected. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

142C0852-AEF4-47BE-90F6-6BEF6D6946EC.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last week, we have lost most of the fish in our tank. We had, three clowns (two snowflake and one white that we’ve had a hard time identifying), a coral beauty angelfish, a saddle Valentino puffer, and an orange dot goby. We do have a few snails, 2 camel shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp and some hermit crabs. The coral beauty was the last fish we added about one month ago. The other day we added a pistol shrimp that instantly paired with our goby. The morning after we added the shrimp, our coral beauty was dead. She had no symptoms/irregular behavior. The same day, our clowns looked like they had Brook and we FW dipped. The next morning, one snowflake clown was dead. The morning after that, the other snowflake was dead. Now my beloved white clown is staying towards the bottom in the same area all day and won’t eat. Which is entirely not like Tippy. Our puffer and goby do not seem to be infected. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Reef2Reef

Seeing Brooklynella on white clowns can be tough, but visually, I think that is probably it. Brooklynella also affects different species in different ways, leaving some fish unaffected where velvet usually just kills all the fish.
If you post a short video I might be able to confirm the diagnosis.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

While a pistol shrimp can inflict damage, they generally do not go around and beat up fish. My impression would be environmental focusing on water quality and behaviors.
How old is the tank?
What is current ammonia-nitrate-Phosphate and ph readings and with what test kit are you checking?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet ?
What type of filters are you using and is tank reef ready with overflows?
Fish- How did you acclimate/introduce them and for how long ?
Are fish discolored?

Behaviors-
Are fish eating?
Are they breathing heavy or normal?
Ant scratching or darting across tank?
Clown - Loss of color? Im thinking brooklynella

OP
OP
E

e&lPeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef

Seeing Brooklynella on white clowns can be tough, but visually, I think that is probably it. Brooklynella also affects different species in different ways, leaving some fish unaffected where velvet usually just kills all the fish.
If you post a short video I might be able to confirm the diagnosis.

Jay

Attachments

• IMG_7777.MOV
    17.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been sick and went to bed early.....

The rapid breathing and white cloudiness (seen mostly on the black portions of the fins) still leads me towards Brooklynella. Freshwater dips can buy you some time (a day perhaps) but in the end, I find that formalin is the best treatment. However, that cannot be dosed in a display tank and it is difficult to buy it. A second best treatment would be Ruby Reef Rally Pro. I don't have a lot of confidence in it, but people have reported it working for them.

However, I do need to point out that disease cures all take time. You've got an advanced disease issue here, as evidenced by the fish that have already died. It is unlikely that you will be able to treat this fish in time to save it.....sorry!

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back