Clownfish hosting gsp instead of anemone

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clownfish that have decided they want to try and host in my gsp even though the anemone has settled right next to it. Is there any way to try and get them into the anemone instead of the green star polyp as it seems to stress the coral or do I just have to accept that they gsp will be their home now. You can see in the picture how close they are to each other
20211103_210555.jpg

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in my old 20 galln, i had a pair of occelaris clownfish who hosted a zoanthid colony. THey did this for a while but when one of them accidentally bumped into the anemone and felt its sting, they almost immediately began hosting it

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown fish know where they want to be, maybe the anemone doesn't want him to get close to him. it goes both ways. I have had my tomato clown would stay in my brain coral they were together for years about 3 yrs... later he went to the anemone and was very careful letting the anemone allow him to enter it took weeks before he was allowed . it was amazing to watch. I hear people saying the fish are stupid no they are not, they know how to survive and have a special connection to the sea and our corals in our aquariums..

Attachments

• 20181207_171103.mp4
    89.2 MB
  • 20191016_161022.jpg
    20191016_161022.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 112

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clownfish that have decided they want to try and host in my gsp even though the anemone has settled right next to it. Is there any way to try and get them into the anemone instead of the green star polyp as it seems to stress the coral or do I just have to accept that they gsp will be their home now. You can see in the picture how close they are to each other
20211103_210555.jpg
Clownfish are better than you at picking hosts. As crazy as their choices may seem at times. If the anemone stays healthy and grows the clown may move! Mine has moved twice although never to something I wanted her to.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. It's the anemone that hosts the clownfish. Unless it allows it, the clowns won't be welcome. Mine were hosted by a powerhead for 2 years even with multiple anemone in the tank.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. It's the anemone that hosts the clownfish. Unless it allows it, the clowns won't be welcome. Mine were hosted by a powerhead for 2 years even with multiple anemone in the tank.
kinda like mine. they are hosting the in tank heater rather than a soft cushy, 4 headed hammer coral

frankny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211103_210555.jpg
it's normal for tank breeded clownfish to host anything even a powerhead lol. wild cought clownfish will only host anemone as their instinct

Back