Clownfish Hosting Questions

ClownfishAnemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, im new to R2R and saltwater tanks in general with so far about 2 months experience, i have somewhat of a grasp on most things because i’ve watched the 52 weeks of reefing series. As of now i have a 5.5 Fluval salt tank with 3 small fish, 2 black ocellaris clowns and a diamondback goby. Currently they like to hover around my flow nozzle or they stay vertical sometimes on the black flat surface of the filtration area, I bought two small really nice BTAs for a good deal from a local owned pet store, yesterday at about 8am i put the clowns and the btas (both attached to a small rock) in a breeder box that remains inside the tank with slits for water to flow through. I then went to attend to other things through the day and kept periodically checking on them. At first the male was hovering extremely close and touching the bigger sized anemone which had me excited but he wasn’t doing the typical cuddling you see when the anemone hosts them. I decided to leave them in there till this morning, when i was extremely happy and excited to see the female was going into the larger anemone and fully acting like she’s taken to it now, i didn’t observe the male going into it but i’m on a time schedule from work, so i put the bta back in along with the clowns, excited to see them go towards the anemone…. butttttttt….. they just went right back to the nozzle. Is there a way to discourage them to stay near the nozzle and instead keep them more focused on the anemone? Should i put them back in the breeder till i see both of them looking like they’ve accepted it instead of just one? Any tips are appreciated, thanks!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
Clownfish do what they want - they are hard to control. Some will just host the return forever, others immediately host a nem. Give it time, some people have had success showing clowns videos of clowns hosting nems on a long loop.

bruce337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have 2 rbt anemones and 3 maroon gold flake clowns and all it takes is patience the 1 clown took a month to host the anemone the other one 1 week they'll eventually do it may take a week may take a year but eventually they will. waiting on the rbt to split again for the 3rd clown. then i'll start selling rbt anemone before they take over lol. there's stuff on internet about dumping your clown down a plastic tube into the anemone, and baiting it with food etc. let nature take its course lol

Last edited:

bruce337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have 2 rbt anemones and 3 maroon gold flake clowns and all it takes is patience the 1 clown took a month to host the anemone the other one 1 week they'll eventually do it may take a week may take a year but eventually they will. waiting on the rbt to split agan for the 3rd clown. then i'll start selling rbt anemone before they take over lol

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be anemone species, or just stubborn clowns.

I had a Bunnle tip that just never hosted, clownfish weren’t interested.

Today I added a Magnificent sea anemone, and within 2 hours they are hanging out inside it

OP
OP
ClownfishAnemone

ClownfishAnemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have 2 rbt anemones and 3 maroon gold flake clowns and all it takes is patience the 1 clown took a month to host the anemone the other one 1 week they'll eventually do it may take a week may take a year but eventually they will. waiting on the rbt to split again for the 3rd clown. then i'll start selling rbt anemone before they take over lol. there's stuff on internet about dumping your clown down a plastic tube into the anemone, and baiting it with food etc. let nature take its course lol
Thanks for your reply! As of now im happy to say that without any more prodding, both clowns have taken to the anemones :), the female pretty much is the only one that genuinely goes and sits in there etc, but ive also observed the male going in and doing the same a few times but he definitely doesnt go near them as often as the female. Its got me really excited for the future of both of them!

OP
OP
ClownfishAnemone

ClownfishAnemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be anemone species, or just stubborn clowns.

I had a Bunnle tip that just never hosted, clownfish weren’t interested.

Today I added a Magnificent sea anemone, and within 2 hours they are hanging out inside it

Thankfully as of 2 weeks ago my female and male both hosted the anemones after a while without any more prodding, really excited for the future of my tank!!! Beautiful clowns and anemone too :)

Tamie77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully as of 2 weeks ago my female and male both hosted the anemones after a while without any more prodding, really excited for the future of my tank!!! Beautiful clowns and anemone too :)
This gives me hope. Hummm, how do you know the difference between the female and the male clowns? I have 2 skunks gotten at the same time and were the same size, now 1 is definitely bigger and more dominate. Which would that possibility be? Thanks in advance!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gives me hope. Hummm, how do you know the difference between the female and the male clowns? I have 2 skunks gotten at the same time and were the same size, now 1 is definitely bigger and more dominate. Which would that possibility be? Thanks in advance!
For clownfish, the bigger, more dominant one is always the female.

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some clowns will just never host. I have a 7 year old black ocellaris who is vehemently against hosting. He was paired with an orange ocellaris who did host, and they hosted together for about a week before the black taught the orange not to host, lol

Back