Clownfish Hypermelanization

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish sometimes are irritated by their host. Sometimes the offending host is LPS coral and other times it can be their anemone. It presents itself as black dots on the clownfish that many hobbyists think is black ich. I noticed that my Occellaris clown has hypermelanization due to the stings from its anemone.

Here is a pic:
162.jpg

uall8up

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very intresting Krista!!! Great point to bring to the noobs(me). I love it here, learn something new everyday!!!

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture is missing in this informational post. Does anyone have a suitable replacement they'd care to post so we may have a visual aid? Followed link from Humblefish's catalogue.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically just picture black dots the same as you'd see in white dots of ich.
I've seen a number of times over the years some clowns get stung somewhat by softie coral hosts like torch's I think especially(they are known to be more aggressive of euphyllia than say frogspawn or hammer)

Of the pics and posts I've seen it does not appear to change the clowns behavior, they all have seemed fine and normal other than the black dots, and I have not read anything personally that states otherwise.(so far...)

nanomom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish sometimes are irritated by their host. Sometimes the offending host is LPS coral and other times it can be their anemone. It presents itself as black dots on the clownfish that many hobbyists think is black ich. I noticed that my Occellaris clown has hypermelanization due to the stings from its anemone.

Here is a pic:
162.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpeg
    IMG_0428.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 34

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back