Clownfish In Bad Shape

firstlight10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 10 year old female clown started exhibiting signs of stress this morning. She was at the surface like she couldn't get enough oxygen and had hair algae ganging from her stomach area. I did a 30% water change then dosed Stress Coat and added carbon to the tank. This is a fish who always eats well yet today she refused food and hid when I tried feeding her. I don't see any visible injuries and she is the only one in the tank. Tank is a 29 gallon well established LPS and softie tank. There is an airstone in the tank and the top is open so I don't think lack of gas exchange is an issue. Right now I'm mixing up some garlic/ fish food in a last ditch effort to try and get her to eat. Is there anything else I can try?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does she have a mate? Does she look fat in the abdomen? Try doing a epson salt dip. Have to search it here as I cannot remember the dosage. Any changes to the system? Any signs of coat sloughing? Any other fish? Behavior of other fish? Chemicals introduced?

OP
OP
firstlight10

firstlight10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No recent changes to the system, temp is 77, salinity 1.022. Body condition looks good. She is the only fish in the system, she lost her mate in May 2017. I will look into the Epsom salt dip idea.

OP
OP
firstlight10

firstlight10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: added 6 tbsp Epsom salt to display tank as I felt like trying to catch her wasn't worth the stress. I also put some of my fresh garlic and food mixture in the tank and she showed an interest but I was unable to tell if she ate. The hair algae came off of her. Will continue to monitor the situation.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back