CLOWNFISH INTESTINAL WORMS/INTERNAL PARASITE issue. I need recommendations.

phong34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
About 20 days ago I purchased two clownfish. 2 days ago, I realized my Blackstorm being less active not moving his tail fin that often. Today, I realized my blackstorm clownfish doesn't want to eat and also I see long stringy white poop. In addition, he is lying on the ground panting heavily, but when he swims he is swimming at a 45 degree angle with his head pointing upwards. Water parameters are good with ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate at 0. Also the pH is at 8.0. The last time he ate was yesterday. Can you guys confirm this is a clownfish intestinal worm/parasite? What other possible diseases can he have according to the symptoms?

Can you guys recommend a brand or product that can treat his issue? Also, how do you use it? Final question, how long will it take till he dies because shipping will take a while. Thanks for reading and caring guys. I hope I get some answers because I love my blackstorm clownfish. His name is gatsby :)

20201027_100514.jpg 20201027_100734.jpg 20201027_101244.jpg

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That definitely looks like an internal parasite. Seachem metroplex (metronidazole) or general cure would work, bound to fish food with Seachem focus. Unflavored gelatin will work in place of focus, but I don't know the recipe off the top of my head. Don't know how fast it'll kill, some more knowledgeable people would need to chime in.

OP
OP
P

phong34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That definitely looks like an internal parasite. Seachem metroplex (metronidazole) or general cure would work, bound to fish food with Seachem focus. Unflavored gelatin will work in place of focus, but I don't know the recipe off the top of my head. Don't know how fast it'll kill, some more knowledgeable people would need to chime in.
Thanks so much Eric. Really means a lot that someone is helping. So I was looking at the API General and is this what you're talking about? Do you possibly know, or does anyone know, how to incorporate this to my fish pellets?

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 10.33.15 AM.png

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is the product. Here is how you would make the medicated food (copy and pasted from Humblefish's article here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-issues.267419/ )

Using a shot glass:
1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (Metroplex or General Cure)
1 scoop Seachem Focus (this makes it reef safe)
1 Tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites
A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved.
Feed after soaking for 30 mins.
Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use.
You can feed this mix 1-2 times per day. Not recommend to exceed 2 feedings per day with medicated food.

You would either have to use general cure or metroplex + prazipro to ensure that both internal worms & flagellates are covered.

OP
OP
P

phong34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is the product. Here is how you would make the medicated food (copy and pasted from Humblefish's article here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-issues.267419/ )

Using a shot glass:
1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (Metroplex or General Cure)
1 scoop Seachem Focus (this makes it reef safe)
1 Tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites
A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved.
Feed after soaking for 30 mins.
Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use.
You can feed this mix 1-2 times per day. Not recommend to exceed 2 feedings per day with medicated food.

You would either have to use general cure or metroplex + prazipro to ensure that both internal worms & flagellates are covered.
Hey so I have a FOWLR 10 Gallon tank with a red fire shrimp, and 2 clownfish. So just to be sure with the amount I am using. I drop in 1/8 tablespoon of general cure, 1 pinch of pellet food, pinch of epsom salt, and few drops of the saltwater in my fish tank all in a shot of glass. Correct? Do you think this will be available at any fish store or petstore with fish around me?

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I have a FOWLR 10 Gallon tank with a red fire shrimp, and 2 clownfish. So just to be sure with the amount I am using. I drop in 1/8 tablespoon of general cure, 1 pinch of pellet food, pinch of epsom salt, and few drops of the saltwater in my fish tank all in a shot of glass. Correct? Do you think this will be available at any fish store or petstore with fish around me?
I'm not totally sure if this is what you're saying, but you would mix the GC, the food, the water, and the focus, which binds the meds to the food. If you don't add the focus, the meds won't bind to the food. I don't know about the fish stores in Naperville, but there are a few PetSmart's in your area that "have a few left" according to the website.

OP
OP
P

phong34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not totally sure if this is what you're saying, but you would mix the GC, the food, the water, and the focus, which binds the meds to the food. If you don't add the focus, the meds won't bind to the food. I don't know about the fish stores in Naperville, but there are a few PetSmart's in your area that "have a few left" according to the website.
Thanks so much for the help. Really hard to not panic right now but you're helping me a lot. Also, thanks to everyone that responded so far. I'll try my best to save gatsby.

Mooses

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short, yes, garlic is the fish superfood.

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think adding garlic power to the medication and pellets help?
In terms of helping their immune systems? No. But metronidazole is very bitter and garlic will help them eat it. If you want to add garlic, use GarlicGuard, or a similar product, I don't think human garlic powder is safe. But for long term use, don't use it. It has shown to cause liver problems long term in fish.

OP
OP
P

phong34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Quick update, after going through 3 packets of general cure in 6 days and a 50% water change yesterday, my clownfish is still not eating. I also tried using garlic power and seachem focus but it doesn't seem to work. I can see some improvements as he is getting more active but he is sometimes seen on the sandbed really stressed out (heavy breathing). At this point, I'm just praying that he'll be better.

It's not over yet though... I think he has ich because I see 5 white spots around his fins. Also, he seems to be hiding behind some of the rocks which he never did before. What do you guys recommend I do? He is already stressed out, he still has a stringy poop, he still is going through general cure medication. I'm lost. I think the best thing to do is a freshwater dip tbh. What do you guys think?

OP
OP
P

phong34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't get what is going on. I do water changes every week. My pH is at 8.0, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is 0. Water temp is 75F. My other orange clownfish is doing completely normal and my red fire shrimp is thriving. To add on to the freshwater dip, I feel like this can also help the internal parasite issue and the potential ich.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back