Clownfish is sick. Please help, I’m new to the hobby.

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys thank you all who answer my question in advance. I have some kind of designer clown fish. I just got him on Wednesday that just past and he’s sick today I noticed. By the way the tank is still going through it’s nitrogen cycle and it’s a 10gallon. I can get you guys my parameters tomorrow. I will not be posting a recent picture yet because I just noticed the sickness at the start of it. Therefore it’s so small that not even my iPhone camera can pick it up yet but my eyes can see these little white almost, possibly, maybe ‍♂️ cotton bumps on his tail, pectoral fins on his body below the dorsal fin. He’s hanging out in safe corners and he’s shaking and lunging forward. I’m think maybe I caused this, because the tank is so small and might of over fed a little bit last night when I first fed him. With my description what do you guys think it maybe. We can rule out ich I know it’s not ich for sure. I’ve seen ich in freshwater and it’s definitely not ich. Looks more fluffy.

P.S
I have a fighting conch that is super small like the size of your thumb nail maybe a tad bit bigger. We kinda bumped into each other

FAEF1123-A012-4EDE-90AE-AABE16FA5CE9.jpeg D9685653-1AB9-4D55-9D2E-8059187369F3.png

Last edited:

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the Clown, can't see enough but as for the Conch, no matter how small in a new 20 gallon this is going to be a battle for it to hang in there as well. Best of luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the Clown, can't see enough but as for the Conch, no matter how small in a new 20 gallon this is going to be a battle for it to hang in there as well. Best of luck.
The conch eats and is constantly moving around the tank. He doesn’t really show signs of stress he’s been in the tank since January 2.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should return him the beach then?
Best you can do is make sure it has some food. For the clown I would check back tomorrow. Allow the people I tagged to weigh in on the subject

Upvote 0
OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best you can do is make sure it has some food. For the clown I would check back tomorrow. Allow the people I tagged to weigh in on. The subject

ok thank you. And I got conch at the beach I found him in 10feet deep water with a crown conch trying to eat him. So I took the conch and left the crown conch behind.

Upvote 0

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should return him the beach then?
Picked from the beach? Wow....I'm honestly curious at that point.....or purchased from LFS? If purchased and a non native ( assuming Florida )species return to LFS, if not, and picked from beach local.....hmmmmm......has thus mollusk got the gusto.....I'm torn.... what concerns me is the amount of algae, detritus, and bacteria in a brand new sand bed....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked from the beach? Wow....I'm honestly curious at that point.....or purchased from LFS? If purchased and a non native ( assuming Florida )species return to LFS, if not, and picked from beach local.....hmmmmm......has thus mollusk got the gusto.....I'm torn.... what concerns me is the amount of algae, detritus, and bacteria in a brand new sand bed....
What is LFS? And what do you mean by “has thus mollusk got the gusto”

Upvote 0

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The conch eats and is constantly moving around the tank. He doesn’t really show signs of stress he’s been in the tank since January 2.
Ok, if thus far congrats, he's a trooper.... keep an eye ,and this might just be a success...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by “what concerns me is the amount of algae, detritus, and bacteria in a brand new sand bed....” there’s no algae there isn’t even phosphates in the water lol the sand bed is not dirty like your making it seem lol :-D

Upvote 0

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is LFS? And what do you mean by “has thus mollusk got the gusto”
Local fish store. I see you actually dove down to get him local on previous post, so that's cool. As per the 'gusto' reference, simply wondering if this Conch can manage in a new sand bed.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local fish store. I see you actually dove down to get him local on previous post, so that's cool. As per the 'gusto' reference, simply wondering if this Conch can manage in a new sand bed.....
Oh I got you I see what your saying. Yeah he went under the sand once. He has not gone down since. But he eats brine shrimp and I threw a algae wafer in there and he ate that to.

Upvote 0

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I got you I see what your saying. Yeah he went under the sand once. He has not gone down since. But he eats brine shrimp and I threw a algae wafer in there and he ate that to.
Ok great, time being he is good. Eventually he will need that sand bed, they all do....continue path of brine, and algae then hopefully sand bed matures fairly quick and that is his home. If it's eating then it's a good head start....

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also got rock from my father in law who claimed that there was bacteria still on the rock after he left it outside for 2weeks but I think all the bacteria died in that time idk why he did that.
Also got rock from my father in law who claimed that there was bacteria still on the rock after he left it outside for 2weeks but I think all the bacteria died in that time idk why he did that.

Ah yeah that rock may need to be cured then. Basically everything died on it and needs to rot out. This is something to watch out for as it can cause big head aches down the road if it came from a tank where it was previous "live" rock. Anything over 0.25ppm ammonia and 25ppm nitrite can cause harm.

As for the dots, are they small like salt and oval shaped or do they look like cotton (or is it so fine and sugary that you can't tell)?

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back