Clownfish is sick

Kenkee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my clownfish has a swollen left gill and a small grey marking on its cheek, it’s mouth is slightly open and it hasn’t eaten in the last 2 days while it’s bonded pair is fine and eating a lot does anyone know what it might be and how I can treat this best? I don’t have a setup quarantine tank at the moment

3926F72F-341A-40BC-B825-AC5E7DCE77CB.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't a symptom of any of the major infectious diseases, so it could be bacterial. Any chance it could have gotten damaged? Even bonded clowns will fight from time to time. Still, that shouldn't have stopped it from eating.

Is it breathing fast or labored?

Jay

OP
OP
Kenkee

Kenkee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't a symptom of any of the major infectious diseases, so it could be bacterial. Any chance it could have gotten damaged? Even bonded clowns will fight from time to time. Still, that shouldn't have stopped it from eating.

Is it breathing fast or labored?

Jay
he might be breathing a little faster but it's hard for me to tell, I haven't noticed them fighting myself but it could've happened when I'm not looking.

When I feed the other one eats without issue while this one will kinda look at it confused and sometimes go for it but not actually eat any

OP
OP
Kenkee

Kenkee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I'm not sure if this helps but he doesn't seem very lethargic and will swim around the tank with his mate frequently

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I'm not sure if this helps but he doesn't seem very lethargic and will swim around the tank with his mate frequently
I’m sorry, nothing is coming to mind here based on the symptoms (or lack there of). We can rule out water quality and infectious issues because just the one fish is affected. Since only a localized spot on that fish is affected, it comes down to an injury or a bacterial infection.
Jay

OP
OP
Kenkee

Kenkee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry, nothing is coming to mind here based on the symptoms (or lack there of). We can rule out water quality and infectious issues because just the one fish is affected. Since only a localized spot on that fish is affected, it comes down to an injury or a bacterial infection.
Jay
Do you have any suggestions on what I could do to treat it if it's something bacterial? Or should I just let nature run its course and hope for the best?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any suggestions on what I could do to treat it if it's something bacterial? Or should I just let nature run its course and hope for the best?
Well, the standard treatment is a gram negative, broad spectrum antibiotic dosed in a treatment tank. Since you didn’t have one available, I didn’t go down that road. Furan-2 or Maracyn 2 are two possible choices. Some people have tried dosing this in a bucket with an air stone and a heater for 3 hours a day at double the label dose.
Jay

OP
OP
Kenkee

Kenkee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the standard treatment is a gram negative, broad spectrum antibiotic dosed in a treatment tank. Since you didn’t have one available, I didn’t go down that road. Furan-2 or Maracyn 2 are two possible choices. Some people have tried dosing this in a bucket with an air stone and a heater for 3 hours a day at double the label dose.
Jay
Hey Jay I woke up this morning and found this grey growth on the right side of the afflicted fish right where the fin meets the body, does this help at all with identifying the problem?
379FD89E-AEEC-48BD-B2C4-323C48D63E00.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture is kind of blurry, but yes, that is looking like a bacterial infection.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thank you so much for all the help Jay
Sure - my advice would still be from my post last night. Many bacterial infections will resolve themselves, but if the lesion is growing/changing, that points to an active infection and more probable that treatment is needed.
Jay

OP
OP
Kenkee

Kenkee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure - my advice would still be from my post last night. Many bacterial infections will resolve themselves, but if the lesion is growing/changing, that points to an active infection and more probable that treatment is needed.
Jay
Heading to my lfs right now to see if I can pick up the chemicals you recommended, my biggest worry is that he hasn’t been eating the last few days and could starve to death

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heading to my lfs right now to see if I can pick up the chemicals you recommended, my biggest worry is that he hasn’t been eating the last few days and could starve to death
Yes, that is true. To make it harder, antibiotics take up to 72 hours to start to work....it is pretty much a race against time.
Jay

OP
OP
Kenkee

Kenkee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is true. To make it harder, antibiotics take up to 72 hours to start to work....it is pretty much a race against time.
Jay
Once again, thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. Atleast if I’m too late this time I’ll be better prepared in the future but I’m hoping for the best. I’ll update the thread with the outcome to help others with the same issues in the future

OP
OP
Kenkee

Kenkee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, the strange grey stuff started moving around on the fish and was in a new spot every time I looked so I thought it might be some kind of parasite, I did a 5 minute freshwater dip and they fell right off into the bucket so I guess that means they were some kind of parasite? I’m thinking of dosing the tank with Ruby Reef Rally or Prazipro

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back