Clownfish is this HLLE disease ?

wieslawwichura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Can Anyone help me with diagnosis of these scars on my clownfish head please . I notice them around 2 weeks ago and they start getting bigger slowly . He is eating normal. also i notice today that something like white stringy poop floating in my tank but Im not really sure where is it coming from as i saw him few time pooping normal before . please help as im getting worried now . Thank You
_MAC1026-Enhanced.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you look at my signature - there is a link (the second one) - that gives some recommendations about some more information you can give.

You get an A+++ on the picture!!!!!

But - I guess if you could answer:

1. Did you QT the fish?
2. Is there any bullying?
3. Is there ANY other sign of illness (forget the poop for now)
4. Is your other clown showing any of the same signs?

To me - lets look at the picture - I have seen these markings on clowns as they get older - or are establishing territory. There is a whitish area that to me looks 'off (lighter)' in the lower half. Have you noticed any changes there over time?

As to the poop - unless you see it coming directly from the fish - I would ignore it for now - with the caveat - that again - it seems to me something looks (not necessarily 'bad') - different about the abdomen of the fish - whether its 'nothing' - or internal issues IDK.

OP
OP
wieslawwichura

wieslawwichura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at my signature - there is a link (the second one) - that gives some recommendations about some more information you can give.

You get an A+++ on the picture!!!!!

But - I guess if you could answer:

1. Did you QT the fish?
2. Is there any bullying?
3. Is there ANY other sign of illness (forget the poop for now)
4. Is your other clown showing any of the same signs?

To me - lets look at the picture - I have seen these markings on clowns as they get older - or are establishing territory. There is a whitish area that to me looks 'off (lighter)' in the lower half. Have you noticed any changes there over time?

As to the poop - unless you see it coming directly from the fish - I would ignore it for now - with the caveat - that again - it seems to me something looks (not necessarily 'bad') - different about the abdomen of the fish - whether its 'nothing' - or internal issues IDK.
Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Fish Only
Aquarium water volume 23 Gallons
Filtration type :Canister Filter , Mainly Sponges, I had active carbon for about a month but i get rid of it liae a week ago .
Lighting - No Light
How long has the aquarium been established? 3 months

Water quality
(be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature 78
pH:7.8
Salinity / specific gravity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 6.2
Phosphorus
Copper
Other

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet?No
Are any invertebrates affected? I dont think so
Respiration rate of affected fish Impossible for me to count as they very active but i cant see rapid breathing
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? Nothing

1. Did you QT the fish? No
2. Is there any bullying? Yes a little bit but nothing like super aggressive i would say they get along well , when it comes to feeding time the smaller one ( the one with scars ) is a bit timid by the bigger one but still eating fine.
3. Is there ANY other sign of illness (forget the poop for now) -Not sure , overall he looks fine i think . When the bigger one bullying him sometimes he doing that funny shaking thing.
4. Is your other clown showing any of the same signs? The Bigger one seems to be fine, no scars ,eating well and i have her for about 2 months now ,the smaller one with the scars I've got him and peppermint shrimp for about 2 weeks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Fish Only
Aquarium water volume 23 Gallons
Filtration type :Canister Filter , Mainly Sponges, I had active carbon for about a month but i get rid of it liae a week ago .
Lighting - No Light
How long has the aquarium been established? 3 months

Water quality
(be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature 78
pH:7.8
Salinity / specific gravity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 6.2
Phosphorus
Copper
Other

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet?No
Are any invertebrates affected? I dont think so
Respiration rate of affected fish Impossible for me to count as they very active but i cant see rapid breathing
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? Nothing

1. Did you QT the fish? No
2. Is there any bullying? Yes a little bit but nothing like super aggressive i would say they get along well , when it comes to feeding time the smaller one ( the one with scars ) is a bit timid by the bigger one but still eating fine.
3. Is there ANY other sign of illness (forget the poop for now) -Not sure , overall he looks fine i think . When the bigger one bullying him sometimes he doing that funny shaking thing.
4. Is your other clown showing any of the same signs? The Bigger one seems to be fine, no scars ,eating well and i have her for about 2 months now ,the smaller one with the scars I've got him and peppermint shrimp for about 2 weeks.

Thanks for answering all the questions, that helps us rule out other things.
Are the scars on both sides of the clownfish's head? HLLE is rare in clownfish, and if it is only on one side, that isn't it.

Jay

OP
OP
wieslawwichura

wieslawwichura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering all the questions, that helps us rule out other things.
Are the scars on both sides of the clownfish's head? HLLE is rare in clownfish, and if it is only on one side, that isn't it.

Jay
Hi
Yes the scars are on both sides of the head .

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same thing on a pair of young clowns that are alone in a new-ish tank. It's more like hole-in-the-head than the HLLE I've seen in tangs.

I blamed it on water quality... I've been doing 30% water changes and it seems to be improving. No carbon has been run other than a few days to remove Prazi.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same thing on a pair of young clowns that are alone in a new-ish tank. It's more like hole-in-the-head than the HLLE I've seen in tangs.

I blamed it on water quality... I've been doing 30% water changes and it seems to be improving. No carbon has been run other than a few days to remove Prazi.

If the lesions began before you ran the carbon, then of course, that isn't the cause. However, running dusty carbon, even for a few days, can cause HLLE.

Jay

OP
OP
wieslawwichura

wieslawwichura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the lesions began before you ran the carbon, then of course, that isn't the cause. However, running dusty carbon, even for a few days, can cause HLLE.

Jay
I think carbon could be a cause to be honest . I was running carbon 2 weeks prior to introduce new Clownfish to a tank and the amount of carbon was way to much . I just chucked the bag which was supplied with canister filter fluval 407 . Around 2.5 oz of active carbon for 23 gallon tank i think this was way to much .

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think carbon could be a cause to be honest . I was running carbon 2 weeks prior to introduce new Clownfish to a tank and the amount of carbon was way to much . I just chucked the bag which was supplied with canister filter fluval 407 . Around 2.5 oz of active carbon for 23 gallon tank i think this was way to much .
Pelleted carbon, ROX or Chemipure don’t seem to cause this issue, it is the dusty soft carbon granules that are the worst offenders.

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back