Clownfish laid eggs for first time in my Reefing Joureny! .... Now what?

OP
OP
M

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They laid Eggs again 2 days ago which would be exactly 4 weeks from when they laid the first time! I'm going to leave them be and wait for the pair to get into the rhythm of laying more frequently.

The interesting part is that they laid eggs the first time after I skipped my weekly 10% water change and again when I skipped my water change this week. I`m not sure if there is any correlation however, since I am running an over sized skimmer (Reef Octopus 6" Classic 150INT rated for 150G) and an ATS rated for 100G. I know the filtration is over kill for the total 65 gallon system but I feed heavy. The skimmer was included with the purchase and I wanted to run the system only using the ATS. However, I plugged the skimmer back in about 3 months ago since the ATS was still maturing....maybe Ill turn the skimmer off or reduce the water changes but I don't want to mess with it since everything is measuring and looking ideal.

-For reference, my tank is softie dominated but will be slowly introducing SPS in the next few months. Primarily Monti-caps and Birds nest.

So I`m beginning to think it might be the parameters. PO3 (read at .05) and NO3 (read at .3) when skipping the water change, assuming the water changes brought the levels even lower. So I might begin only doing 10% water changes every other week and see how that roles out.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine arent phased by water changes, they keep laying eggs even if im currently performing one.
Take some pictures. Be happy for your fish and move on. Unless you are willing to culture rotifers and phyto aswell. It’s a huge pita. And not worth the time when you spend all this effort and raise 4 fish from 300 eggs and they grow to be regular clowns worth 5$ each
This ^. Also worth putting in a clay pot or something they can lay eggs on and easily remove right before hatch date, but again you will lose way more money doing this and it is impossible to save every clutch, so i really would throw morals away as they pertain to clownfish eggs.
My Black storm pair seem like they’re getting ready to lay their first eggs (that I know of). I’m not planning to try raising any babies though. @vetteguy53081 @((FORDTECH)) any thoughts on whether their babies would ever end up also being Black Storms or if they’d be a mix of regular clowns and others?
They wud be a mix most likely but hopefully get some nice storms out as well. IDK how much you would really make though as a lot of people are breeding clownfish and stores usually dont need to take on anymore.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!

After 8-9 years in the hobby, I'm finally having the same clownfish experience. I see it in the same way as the OP that it's part of the journey. Not so much in an financial gains from selling the babies nor the time/cost factor, but as part of the experience to see if one can successfully raise. Good tips here about letting them get into rhythm before any attempt to collect. Plus the feedback on the successful rotifers even before collecting. Will monitor and maybe one day I'll give it a try. Expecting failure the first 100 times. lol.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back