Clownfish laying at the bottom of tank

Max H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish has been laying at the bottom of my tank for a couple hours and I’m not sure what’s wrong with it. Could someone please help. I can’t get a picture because I don’t have great internet right now

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be a lot of reasons.

Clownfish have unusual behavior and can be a bit comical, so it is possible that nothing is wrong. But without photos, we won't be able to tell you much.

1. How big is the tank?
2. How old is the tank?
3. When did you add the clownfish to the tank?
4. Have you recently added any other fish to the tank (within the last 2 weeks)?
5. Do you quarantine your fish before adding them to the tank?
6. Do you test your water? If so, please post your most recent test results with the date.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, a better description of the behavior will also help on top of the above req. Are they on their side? Are they breathing heavy? Are they eating?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other tank mates? Is there aggression and the clown has been banished to that area?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a gal who lost 2, 7 year old clowns. Out of nowhere. She had her carpet cleaned the day before and then air freshener sprayed in the enclosed room. Her protein skimmer assisted. Look at every possibility. Also water changes never hurt anything. Good luck.

TomatoClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tomato Clown sleeps on his side, on the surface of the water. You do not know how many times I have though he was dead. I have had him for 5 - 6 years now, and it still sometimes gets me.

OP
OP
Max H.

Max H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, a better description of the behavior will also help on top of the above req. Are they on their side? Are they breathing heavy? Are they eating?
It just started today. It is on its side in the corner against the glass then It swims up for a few seconds then goes back into the corner. And it isn’t breathing heavy but it is eating

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the disease forum and repost this. First read the sticky at the top for helpful ideas when posting these and answer as many questions as possible.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 129 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.0%
Back