Clownfish lethargic and not eating, with no visible issues

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, recently my clownfish has been acting lethargic. About 3 days after I noticed this, the clownfish had stopped eating. I haven’t seen it eat for 2 days. It is kinda sitting in the bottom corner of the tank. It isn’t touching the sand bed though. It actively refuses food right in front of its face. All the other fish are fine, even its clownfish partner. There’s No aggression towards it. It’s the biggest and toughest fish in the tank. Is there something I’m missing? Here’s some pictures.

1670204682161.png

1670204692566.png

1670204703423.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, recently my clownfish has been acting lethargic. About 3 days after I noticed this, the clownfish had stopped eating. I haven’t seen it eat for 2 days. It is kinda sitting in the bottom corner of the tank. It isn’t touching the sand bed though. It actively refuses food right in front of its face. All the other fish are fine, even its clownfish partner. There’s No aggression towards it. It’s the biggest and toughest fish in the tank. Is there something I’m missing? Here’s some pictures.

1670204682161.png

1670204692566.png

1670204703423.png
Is it breathing fast?
How long have you had this fish?
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is breathing slightly faster than the other fish. I've had it for a month.
Tough to say without it showing more definitive symptoms - flukes can cause rapid breathing and not eating, but both clowns would typically be affected at the same time. Same with typical gill parasites and water quality issues - that would affect all fish more or less equally.
Jay

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say without it showing more definitive symptoms - flukes can cause rapid breathing and not eating, but both clowns would typically be affected at the same time. Same with typical gill parasites and water quality issues - that would affect all fish more or less equally.
Jay
I netted it and held it up to the glass and stared at it for like 5 minutes and I couldn't see anything abnormal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While I think I see signs of brook, pics very hard to work with due to fuzziness

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Sorry- video very short. Fish breathing very heavy and with the presence of heavy live and dead hair algae questions water quality regarding ammonia and nitrates.
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet ?
Is tank at or near a window?
What is your nitrate-phospate-ph-ammonia and salinity levels and what test kits are you using ?

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry- video very short. Fish breathing very heavy and with the presence of heavy live and dead hair algae questions water quality regarding ammonia and nitrates.
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet ?
Is tank at or near a window?
What is your nitrate-phospate-ph-ammonia and salinity levels and what test kits are you using ?
I'm using Ro/di. The tank is near a window but there are blinds that block light 24/7. I don't know if it is a water quality issue since all the other fish are fine including the other clown. I'll test and get back to you shortly. I use red sea for nitrate and phosphate and salifert for ammonia. Tank has been up 1 year

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm using Ro/di. The tank is near a window but there are blinds that block light 24/7. I don't know if it is a water quality issue since all the other fish are fine including the other clown. I'll test and get back to you shortly. I use red sea for nitrate and phosphate and salifert for ammonia. Tank has been up 1 year
Great on test kits and do test but you answered why the algae. UV from sun is powerful and will penetrate blinds/shades/curtains why I was able to tell window.
Place a piece of black construction paper from Walmart on the side of tank that faces window, pull all the algae you can by hand, do water change and add snails such as astrea-turbo grazer-cerith-nerite- nassarius and a penil urchin to help with cleanup.
Add air stone for clown to provide oxygen as algae may be absorbing some

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great on test kits and do test but you answered why the algae. UV from sun is powerful and will penetrate blinds/shades/curtains why I was able to tell window.
Place a piece of black construction paper from Walmart on the side of tank that faces window, pull all the algae you can by hand, do water change and add snails such as astrea-turbo grazer-cerith-nerite- nassarius and a penil urchin to help with cleanup.
Actually I just ordered a to of margaritas and astreas and turbos that were on sale.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The fish has started swimming around the tank now with her mate, albeit a bit wobbly. It's a start though.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phos 0.02

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is 0

ph 7.8

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think that if this was due to a water quality issue, all the fish would be affected to some degree.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back