Clownfish look HORRIBLE. Please help

Nicko79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I went out of town for a bit, came back home and the clownfish look like this? Can anyone please identify or help? Look sick.. working on getting water parameters but all the other fish appear okay.

N.

IMG_0756.JPG IMG_0757.JPG

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably Brook.

I can't see much in the pics. Just based on the description of only affecting the clowns I suspect Brook.

OP
OP
N

Nicko79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try and get a better picture. Other notes are that I have not added anything new at all to the tank in months. Could this be something that would show up much later?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try and get a better picture. Other notes are that I have not added anything new at all to the tank in months. Could this be something that would show up much later?
How long have the clowns been in the tank?

They could have been dealing with it just fine if you fed them well etc. Then when you left town (I don't know how long) if someone else fed them differently or something along those lines there was enough of an immune system reduction that the parasites gained headway.

OP
OP
N

Nicko79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been in the tank for a year plus. No new additions in id say 5 - 6 months. I was gone for a week and they were fed by an automatic feeder.

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. Looks like velvet to me. I just went though the same. Someone will probably chime in with more thoughts but that's my amateur opinion. Is there a bunch of slime on them?

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert but with brook you tend to see a lot of slime. Do you have a qt? U may need to qt all fish unfortunately

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like velvet, I agree. However, it would be normal for early Brook to look similar to velvet. The skin sloughing off or mucus look comes after the spots.

What other fish are in the tank? How do they look?

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I went out of town for a bit, came back home and the clownfish look like this? Can anyone please identify or help? Look sick.. working on getting water parameters but all the other fish appear okay.

N.

IMG_0756.JPG IMG_0757.JPG

I have treated neither myself, but it looks like velvet or brook. There are some people with disease experience. If you can catch them I would do FW dip and go to QT. I would treat for both. If you can get humblefish's attention he will likely help you. I would message him but I do not know how those people are alerted.

Look at how they are breathing. If they are laboring you have less time, if they are normal with fuzz you have more time. This will help you when deciding on how much treatment risk you want to take once you catch them. If it is a fish only tank you could treat them in the tank they are in.

OP
OP
N

Nicko79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other fish in the tank are a small yellow tang and a coral beauty angel. As far as I can tell they appear to be normal at this point. But they are both hiding when I get close.

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it is likely they have it as well and will need treatment. It's in the water so you'll likely have to go fallow as well

JenniferMcK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any corals and\or inverts ie crabs, snails, anemones, or water from any other tank or pet store? If so, that is where you likely picked up velvet. How are the clowns doing and how are the other fish doing?

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend to move the clowns to a QT system asap, from my estimation they have been battling the disease for roughly 5-6 days now. The infection looks heavy & taking into consideration that most treatments take a few days to begin having some effect on the illness, the clowns are in a serious battle with the disease at this point in time. From my experience, the worst stage is when their eyes begin to get cloudy. Because of the mention that the other tank mates look fine, I would deduce that it is brook, since velvet or ich can attack indiscriminately & brook seems to be more of a clown fish only disease but do keep a close eye on the other mates. Good luck with the fight.

Back