Clownfish losing color rapidly, breathing heavy, sinking to bottom of tank and laying on side. Advice needed ASAP

Nierika

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home and noticed one of my clowns having the issues above. It's just 2 clowns in a tank I've had for about 2 years. Nothing has been introduced to the tank anytime recently. I noticed yesterday that the other clown was being unusually aggressive and chasing this clown around non-stop. I haven't checked parameters yet but have pulled her our and am setting up a hospital tank. She seems to be going downhill quickly. Any advice ASAP is appreciated.

MVIMG_20200710_204549.jpg
MVIMG_20200710_204606.jpg
MVIMG_20200710_204629.jpg
MVIMG_20200710_204701.jpg
MVIMG_20200710_204714.jpg
MVIMG_20200710_204713.jpg
MVIMG_20200710_204721.jpg
MVIMG_20200710_204728.jpg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be a disease, and I'm not a disease expert. So other's will chime in hopefully soon.

But #1 get that fish oxygen. (Ie don't leave in the jar too long), and it needs proper stable temp.
LESS STRESS IS BETTER till your find cause and start treatment.

For extra oxygen, if you have one add an airstone on air pump.
MAYBE LARGER CONTAINER if you don't want to or can't put the fish back in the tank with other Fish.

I feel for you since I hate seeing fish sick, and even worse suffering.

OP
OP
Nierika

Nierika

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding an air stone now. I just got het out of the tank so the other fish would stop attacking her

OP
OP
Nierika

Nierika

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just the 2 clowns in the tank. The other clown has gotten extremely aggressive over the last few days and keeps attacking and chasing her. They've been together for 2 years now without any aggression like this.

OP
OP
Nierika

Nierika

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, medications I have on hand: Cupramine, Prazipro, Furan-2, Focus, Kanaplex, and Metroplex if that helps

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do not jump too fast ,heavy air rt now ,wait a few here for dr's advice and temp important

OP
OP
Nierika

Nierika

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp is 78. Salinity 35ppt.

She's mostly floating upside down and struggling to breathe. I don't have a good feeling about this.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
after rereading i believe this is the male ,female is larger,looks like just beaten up at this point ,acclimation box put in display with enough flow through

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
very stressed rt now can you do a 3 gallon change on tank put clown in dt water in bucket w dt water /air /heater,leave alone in dark for a bit chek in hour or two ,come bak let us know..sorry c not working

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how is the fish now?

OP
OP
Nierika

Nierika

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She didn't make it unfortunately :(

I'm going to take the fish to my lfs tomorrow for advice. I took the opportunity to throw the other clown, rock and hermits in a bucket and completely broke down the tank to gave it a good cleaning along with a 100% water change. The other clown looks completely healthy, but I did do a 5 min freshwater dip just in case.

I've had these clowns 2 years now. Ever since I got them, the clown that died was always hanging out at the top of the water and always a little sideways. I wasn't sure if she was just a goofball clown being a derp or if there was a swim bladder issue. Maybe there was some underlying issue?

I was listening to a podcast on the Lewis & Clark expedition the day I picked them up, so naturally I named them Lewis & Clark figuring they'd eventually become Louis & Clark! I think I'm done naming fish in pairs. My 2 Banggai cardinals showed up on 4/20 so I named them Cheech and Chong. Cheech didn't make it through quarantine (Chong is still kicking though and for a peaceful fish he is definitely the meanest fish in my tank lol).

I'm interested to hear anyone's thought on what it might have been. Nothing has been added to that tank or my 90 gallon in a really long time. I'm also wondering about why the other fish suddenly got super aggressive after 2 years together. Could he sense there was something not right? I've kept bees for 6 years and when a queen gets old or sick, the hive will sense it and collectively decide to oust her. I wonder if there was something similar at play here. The aggressive fish was definitely much smaller (he was even a little runt when I got him but generally super friendly).

@fishguy242 Thanks for sticking with me during that. I really appreciated having some support. It sucks seeing your pet suffering and not knowing if there is something you could be doing to help.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry to hear!! and a thumbs up on the background!love the names :cool: my want to consider trading in clown,starting over w a new pair,sounds like this one will never allow another to be added,best wishes..the reef is always here to help!;)

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She didn't make it unfortunately :(

I'm going to take the fish to my lfs tomorrow for advice. I took the opportunity to throw the other clown, rock and hermits in a bucket and completely broke down the tank to gave it a good cleaning along with a 100% water change. The other clown looks completely healthy, but I did do a 5 min freshwater dip just in case.

I've had these clowns 2 years now. Ever since I got them, the clown that died was always hanging out at the top of the water and always a little sideways. I wasn't sure if she was just a goofball clown being a derp or if there was a swim bladder issue. Maybe there was some underlying issue?

I was listening to a podcast on the Lewis & Clark expedition the day I picked them up, so naturally I named them Lewis & Clark figuring they'd eventually become Louis & Clark! I think I'm done naming fish in pairs. My 2 Banggai cardinals showed up on 4/20 so I named them Cheech and Chong. Cheech didn't make it through quarantine (Chong is still kicking though and for a peaceful fish he is definitely the meanest fish in my tank lol).

I'm interested to hear anyone's thought on what it might have been. Nothing has been added to that tank or my 90 gallon in a really long time. I'm also wondering about why the other fish suddenly got super aggressive after 2 years together. Could he sense there was something not right? I've kept bees for 6 years and when a queen gets old or sick, the hive will sense it and collectively decide to oust her. I wonder if there was something similar at play here. The aggressive fish was definitely much smaller (he was even a little runt when I got him but generally super friendly).

@fishguy242 Thanks for sticking with me during that. I really appreciated having some support. It sucks seeing your pet suffering and not knowing if there is something you could be doing to help.

I don't think it was disease, looks like the other clown stressed to death, maybe if they were not hanging on together the male transitioned to female and the war was declared, based on your pictures it was pure agression, don't tear the tank apart, you will trigger a new cycle. Not all deaths are related to disease, if nothing changed no new introductions and water parameters stable it was aggression. Sorry for your lost.

OP
OP
Nierika

Nierika

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear!! and a thumbs up on the background!love the names :cool: my want to consider trading in clown,starting over w a new pair,sounds like this one will never allow another to be added,best wishes..the reef is always here to help!;)

I can't trade him in, he picked me at the lfs. I'm in the process of starting a frag tank, I'll probably put him in there with a few other compatible fish. The only fish I ever traded in were 5 Damsels that were really mean. There was a 6th Damsel that was really getting picked on and spent the entire day wedged behind the heater hiding. I ended up naming him Punk and added him to the 90 gallon. He has a much happier existence now :)

don't tear the tank apart, you will trigger a new cycle.

No worries there, it's a bare bottom 20 gallon that's very well cycled. I wouldn't dream of doing that if there was sand.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clark will be happy to be there ;) :cool:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back