Clownfish marine velvet

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone this evening I noticed my black ocellaris clownfish acting strange. He kept swimming really fast than stopping, then I noticed he had a white film on one side of his tail. I suspect marine velvet but tell me what you think!
Thanks

1579392110145.jpeg

1579392148596.jpeg

1579392180235.jpeg

1579392203117.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Post a pic as I suspect it is typical clown disease- Brooklynella

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Brook
This is an infestation of marine fish by a protozoan called Brooklynella hostilis. It is most closely and commonly associated with clownfish and members of the Damselfish family, and therefore is typically referred to as clownfish disease. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body.
The best and most effective treatment for Brooklynella is formaldehyde alone. Best form of formalin is General cure treatment and you want to give the clown a bath in it- Not apply it to the tank.
A freshwater dip is also beneficial before and after treatment and mainting good quality water in your tank is best prevention in the future.

OP
OP
Sosuke

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook
This is an infestation of marine fish by a protozoan called Brooklynella hostilis. It is most closely and commonly associated with clownfish and members of the Damselfish family, and therefore is typically referred to as clownfish disease. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body.
The best and most effective treatment for Brooklynella is formaldehyde alone. Best form of formalin is General cure treatment and you want to give the clown a bath in it- Not apply it to the tank.
A freshwater dip is also beneficial before and after treatment and mainting good quality water in your tank is best prevention in the future.

Thank you so much! Just one question what do you mean by a bath in the general cure?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back