Clownfish not eating

tyguy1482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I would really appreciate any help with my current situation. The tank (100gal cube) is almost 3 months old. Added a bristletooth tang and pair of da vinci clowns 2 weeks ago. Have a lawnmower blenny, "test fish," that has been growing happily for 2 weeks before those additons. No other livestock is in the tank. About 10 days ago the female clown stopped eating and I observed white stringy poo. Gave her a couple days, still nothing and no poo. Now the male clownfish isn't eating. Dosed PraziPro 5 days ago, now I'm noticing white poo again but still don't seem interested in food. Tried garlic w/ brine, mysis, and Rod's. They seem somewhat better but are spending more time in one spot, even with flow reduced. Have an air pump pulling air from outside. The tang seems more hostile recently towards the clowns. I bought Cupramine, Focus, and Metro. Have a ~35% WC ready to go. I don't want to play mad scientist/OD my fish and I'm really concerned. Could anyone experienced please advise on next steps? Please let me know if I can provide any other details.

Tank parameters (API and Salifert):
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: ~10ppm
pH: 8.0-8.2
Salinity: 1.023
Temp: 78-80
Filtration: 100lbs dry rock, skimmer (off atm), 10gal refugium w/ 400W LED grow light)
Last water change: 7 days ago, 20%
Display lights are off, room is mostly dark.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like clown has internal parasite. I would recommend treatment with PraziPro which will address it. A few tweaks are needed also:
Bring salinity to 1.024-1.025
Display lights- Provide at least blue or Blue at 60% and white at 15-20%
Iam not saying it doesnt happen but very unusual you have Zero ammonia and NO3 with fish in the tank and producing waste. I assume API kit and would get a 2nd opinion with a different test kit. You can even take a water sample to the pet store and have them test for you to verify the readings youre getting

OP
OP
T

tyguy1482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like clown has internal parasite. I would recommend treatment with PraziPro which will address it. A few tweaks are needed also:
Bring salinity to 1.024-1.025
Display lights- Provide at least blue or Blue at 60% and white at 15-20%
Iam not saying it doesnt happen but very unusual you have Zero ammonia and NO3 with fish in the tank and producing waste. I assume API kit and would get a 2nd opinion with a different test kit. You can even take a water sample to the pet store and have them test for you to verify the readings youre getting
Thanks for responding so quickly. I switched the display's blues on at ~20%. As stated, I dosed PraziPro almost 5 days ago and both clownfish are still not eating 'normally' (almost 2 weeks). I see the male nibble at pellets or some of the frozen food but its very inconsistent. Would you reccomend redosing Prazi or attemping one of the other medications I have? (Cupramine and Metro) Just trying to understand the best sequence of actions.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for responding so quickly. I switched the display's blues on at ~20%. As stated, I dosed PraziPro almost 5 days ago and both clownfish are still not eating 'normally' (almost 2 weeks). I see the male nibble at pellets or some of the frozen food but its very inconsistent. Would you reccomend redosing Prazi or attemping one of the other medications I have? (Cupramine and Metro) Just trying to understand the best sequence of actions.
Metro best added to foods but if its not eating. . rendless attempt. Adjust salinity and even try a slight water change. As youve dosed Prazi, it is known to curb a fishs' appetite and even reduce oxygen.

OP
OP
T

tyguy1482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Just wanted to provide an update and solicit some additional advice. So I've been treating the DT for a little over 2 weeks now. Initially dosed Prazi (2 doses) then Metro (4 doses) then API General Cure (2 doses) followed by Metro (1 dose). Been feeding frozen brine and mysis soaked in Metro/Focus. All other fish seem healthy except the female clownfish, which still does not eat normally and has some odd white patches on her side and pelvic fin. I took a few photos but it is hard to capture. I just removed this fish and placed in a QT with Cupramine but fear perhaps nothing is wrong and I'm over-treating/stressing her? She must be eating something to survive 4 weeks but I just want her to act healthy. :( Any advice would be appreciated.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back